These chickpea croutons are life-changing. They are the best salad topper, whether you are needing a little extra flavour or a little extra crunch, these roasted chickpeas know what’s up. They take 40 minutes to roast and 5 minutes to prepare. You only need 6 ingredients to make these crispy chickpeas. They are garlicky, salty and so crunchy which makes them also perfect for just nibbling on throughout your day.
Why You’ll Love These Crispy Chickpea Croutons
- These chickpea croutons are such a simple addition to a salad, yet they make a powerful impact. These chickpeas are sprinkled with nutritional yeast and garlic powder perfectly. The flavours will simply make your mouth water.
- Crunchy, crispy, and salad-changing. Do I need to say more?
- These garlic crispy chickpeas make for a hearty, flavour-packed crunchy crouton. These salad toppers are Picky Husband Approved, shockingly enough. Adam and I both enjoy them for their protein-rich properties and the fact they make vegan salads a little fancier.
How To Roast Chickpeas
Although the process of roasting chickpeas is quite straightforward, there are a few key points to know if you want that crunch factor. It’s important to make sure the chickpeas are dry before you coat them in oil. They can be a little slippery but if they are sitting in a pile of water, that isn’t so good. So wash them, and then dry them the best you can with a towel, or better yet if you have time let them air dry. You can use canned chickpeas or dried chickpeas in this recipe. For the dried chickpeas just make sure you soak them in a large bowl of water for at least 12 hours. Then drain the water and let them dry.
The second important point to remember is to lay the chickpeas flat on a piece of parchment paper on a baking sheet. If they are on top of one another, some will get crispy while others will not and no one wants that in their vegan croutons. So if you want that crunch factor, make sure the chickpeas are dry before adding the oil and they lay flat with space around them before popping them in the oven.
Crispy Chickpea Croutons Ingredient List
- 1 can of chickpeas or dried chickpeas soaked overnight
- nutritional yeast
- garlic powder
- avocado oil (Chosen Foods)
- sea salt and pepper
For More Salad Recipes, Try These
I hadn’t made these roasted chickpea croutons in a few weeks. So the other day I roasted some to go with a salad. I had forgotten how great they are. They definitely made my lunch way more drool-worthy and delectable. I promise the chickpea crouton bandwagon is all that it’s cracked up to be. These crispy chickpeas are perfectly crunchy, garlicky, and salty and will take any salad to another level of deliciousness.
- 1 (398 mL) can chickpeas (rinsed and dried)
- 2 tsp avocado oil
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- a generous amount of salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Rinse and dry chickpeas if using from a can. Add dried chickpeas to a bowl. Next, add oil and spices. Mix to combine. Transfer chickpeas to the baking sheet, lay flat and bake for 40-45 minutes. You can shake the baking sheet halfway through. Chickpeas should be toasty brown and have a crunch to them. Set aside, to cool then add to your desired salad.
Leave a Reply