These chickpea croutons are life-changing. They are the best salad topper, whether you are needing a little extra flavour or a little extra crunch, these roasted chickpeas know what’s up. They take 40 minutes to roast and 5 minutes to prepare. You only need 6 ingredients to make these crispy chickpeas. They are garlicky, salty and so crunchy which makes them the perfect healthy snack or to top a vegan caesar salad.
Why You’ll Love These Crispy Chickpea Croutons
- These garlic chickpea croutons are such a simple addition to a salad, yet they make a powerful impact. These chickpeas are sprinkled with nutritional yeast and garlic powder perfectly. The flavours will simply make your mouth water.
- Crispy, perfect topping, and satisfying crunch. Do I need to say more?
- These chickpeas make for a hearty, flavour-packed crunchy crouton. The great thing about these chickpeas is that they are a plant-based source of protein.
How To Roast Chickpeas
- Although the process of roasting chickpeas is quite straightforward, there are a few key points to know if you want that crunch factor. It’s important to make sure the chickpeas are dry before you coat them in oil. Make sure to dry them in paper towel, a clean tea towel or better yet if you have time let them air dry. You can use a can chickpeas or dried chickpeas in this recipe. For the dried chickpeas just make sure you soak them in a large bowl of water for at least 12 hours. Then drain the water and let them dry.
- The second important point to remember is to lay the chickpeas flat on a piece of parchment paper on a baking sheet. If they are on top of one another, some will get crispy while others will not and no one wants that in their vegan croutons.
- Toss the chickpeas in the oil, black pepper, garlic powder, nutritional yeast, and more than a sprinkle of sea salt. Lay the chickpeas flat with space around them on the baking tray before popping them in the oven.
- The cooking time for these chickpeas is 40 minutes. Once they are golden brown and crispy let them cool on the sheet pan for a few minutes before adding them to a salad.
Crispy Chickpea Croutons Ingredient List
- 1 can of chickpeas or dried chickpeas soaked overnight
- nutritional yeast
- garlic powder
- avocado oil (Chosen Foods)
- sea salt and black pepper
For More Salad Recipes, Try These
I hadn’t made these roasted chickpea croutons in a few weeks. So the other day I roasted some to go with a salad. I had forgotten how great they are. They definitely made my lunch way more drool-worthy and delectable. I promise the chickpea crouton bandwagon is all that it’s cracked up to be. These crispy chickpeas are perfectly crunchy, garlicky, and salty and will take any salad to another level of deliciousness.
- 1 (398 mL) can chickpeas (rinsed and dried)
- 2 tsp avocado oil
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- a generous amount of salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Rinse and dry chickpeas if using from a can. Add dried chickpeas to a bowl. Next, add oil and spices. Mix to combine. Transfer chickpeas to the baking sheet, lay flat and bake for 40-45 minutes. You can shake the baking sheet halfway through. Chickpeas should be toasty brown and have a crunch to them. Set aside, to cool then add to your desired salad.