I’d like to introduce you to my go-to lunch. This Kale Chickpea Salad is packed full of delicious kale, and crunchy chickpeas. That’s right. It only comprises of two ingredients (not including the vegan salad dressing). It is so tasty and may just become your new favourite lunch!
Have you ever tried massaging your kale? I kid you not, it honestly does wonders on eating raw kale. It makes the kale less bitter, and the leaves become soft, rather than tough. It truly is a must! The roasted chickpeas in this bowl add a fun crunch to the salad. But the best part is the dressing. It has no sugar or sweetener of any kind, and you truly aren’t missing anything without it.
Of course, the best judge is the Picky Husband. Typically, when Adam sees anything green he doesn’t tend to get overly excited, but with this salad, he always gobbles it up and occasionally will ask for seconds. Shocking, I know. Clearly, this big bowl of greens is Picky Husband Approved.
here are a few reasons why I love this Kale Chickpea Salad, so listen up!
- There are zero sweeteners in this salad. You might think that dressing would require at least a drop of sweetness, but this vegan salad dressing is completely savoury and it will knock your socks off.
- This salad is simple. Two main ingredients and you truly don’t feel like anything is missing. The chickpeas are beautifully seasoned and the massaged kale doesn’t have a harsh texture. It is the perfect quick and easy lunch to enjoy.
- These chickpeas can be added to any salad. They would act as a crouton for those gluten-free people out there. They are crisp, loaded with flavour and they have the perfect texture.
This salad has a big dose of your daily greens and protein. It’s savoury, crunchy, and lip-smackingly delicious. So get massaging, and dive right into this beauty of a salad! ♥
kale chickpea salad
- 1 (398 mL) can chickpeas (rinsed and dried)
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp avocado oil
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- 1 large bunch kale (de-stemmed, washed and chopped)
- 1 tsp avocado oil or olive oil
- 1/2 lemon (juiced)
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1 clove garlic
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Rinse and dry chickpeas if using from a can. Add dried chickpeas to a bowl. Next, add oil and spices. Mix to combine. Transfer chickpeas to the baking sheet and bake for 40-45 minutes. You can shake the baking sheet halfway through. Chickpeas should be toasty brown and have a crunch to them. Set aside.
- Remove kale leaves from their stems. Rinse and dry the leaves. Cut kale finely, or to the desired size. Transfer to a bowl, add 1 teaspoon of oil and the lemon juice. Massage the kale with hands for a few minutes.
- Combine all ingredients in a blender, and blend until smooth. Set aside until ready to assemble the salad.
- Let the chickpeas cool and then add to the kale. Toss with the dressing and serve.