Helloooo comfort food. This creamy and ‘cheesy’ dish is just what I crave with these long winter days. And the best news is that it is VEGAN! This Veggie Risotto is one of the staples in my house, and it never disappoints!
Let’s talk Nutritional Yeast. It’s a complete protein and completely delicious. It creates a cheesy texture AND provides you with a high amount of B vitamins. As I mentioned above, Nutritional Yeast is a complete protein, meaning it contains all the essential amino acids that the body requires. You won’t miss Parmesan at all in this dish, because the hero of the day is Nutritional Yeast.
This veggie risotto dish is creamy (thanks Nutritional Yeast), and oh so delicious with the combination of roasted veggies. This is one of my Picky Husband’s favourite dishes, and also one of the first vegan dishes I ever made. I’ve made it for many friends over the years and it is a real crowd pleaser ♥
creamy veggie risotto
ingredients (risotto) – serves 3-4
- 1 cup ARBORIO RICE
- 1/4 cup WHITE WINE
- 1 ONION chopped
- 2 GARLIC CLOVES
- SALT and PEPPER
- 4 cups VEGETABLE BROTH
- OIL for sautéing (I used avocado)
- 1/3 – ½ cup NUTRITIONAL YEAST
ingredients (roasted veggies)
- 1 CAULIFLOWER (cut quite small)
- 1 ZUCCHINI (sliced into round pieces)
- SEA SALT
- 2 teaspoons AVOCADO OIL
- sprinkle a little NUTRITIONAL YEAST on top
- Start by sautéing onions and garlic together over medium heat ~ 5minutes
- Add in the 1 cup of rice. Let it toast up for 1 min or 2. Then add the ¼ cup of white wine.
- After most of the wine has been absorbed, start adding in your vegetable broth, about 1 cup at a time. Continue adding in 1 cup of broth at a time, until you have used all the broth. This should be done over medium heat, and should be stirred periodically. Should take about 25 minutes before this process is complete.
- Next, add desired amount of salt and pepper, and the nutritional yeast. Mix together.
- Taste test the risotto and decide if you would prefer more nutritional yeast.
directions (roasted veggies)
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Cut the veggies so a fairly small size
- Coat veggies with 2 teaspoons of oil (I used avocado oil), sea salt and pepper.
- place veggies on a lined baking sheet, and sprinkle a little bit of Nutritional Yeast on top (if desired)
- roast for ~30 minutes, checking them at the 20-minute mark and giving them a little toss/flip.
Need more dinner ideas?? Try my Pesto Lasagna Roll-Ups– they are to die for!