Get ready to say goodbye to your morning coffee and hello to this earl grey tea latte. After testing this recipe out a few times, lately, I’ve been changing out my coffee for this tasty tea. It’s beautifully sweetened with hints of maple and vanilla and then accompanied by frothy oat milk. It takes less than 10 minutes to make and has all the cafe feels that you want to have in your very own kitchen.
I have to give Adam (AKA the Picky Husband) BIG credit for helping me rediscover my love for earl grey tea lattes again! He loves ordering them from local coffee shops, and I usually just get a decaf latte when we are together. Normally I try to stay away from the syrups some cafes use which is why in the past I’ve avoided getting London fogs. And then I thought to myself why not just make my own! So I did. And I’m obsessed. I’ve been replacing my normal morning coffee with this vegan tea and I’m loving it!
For this recipe, I used Stash Tea Earl Grey Black Tea Bags. Honestly, the flavour that came out after steeping the tea was exactly what I was hoping for. Just that classic bergamot flavouring. Growing up, my mom used to make me and my sister tea to dip our graham crackers into. I never drank the tea but loved the flavours that would infuse the crackers after each dunk. I think we mostly used a herbal tea but I do recall using earl grey every once and awhile. After making this vegan tea latte over the last few weeks, I love that the smell of it takes me right back to my childhood sitting at the kitchen table with my mom and sister.
how to make a tea latte
Making your own tea latte is so friggin easy. I would suggest having a milk frother or a steamer of some sort because that just what makes a latte a latte, am I right?! But other than that handy piece of equipment, simply steep your earl grey tea bag in a little bit of boiled water, add the sweetener and vanilla, froth your milk of choice and then add it all together. What did I tell you, so easy!
The shopping list for this earl grey tea latte
- 1 earl grey tea bag
- boiled water
- oat milk (or milk of choice)
- maple syrup
here are a few things that I love about this earl grey tea latte, so listen up!
- With fall here, and winter right around the corner, I need all the cozy drinks I can get my hands on. It actually snowed here last weekend. It didn’t stick but I saw white things coming down from the sky and I was not impressed. Luckily, I did have a mug of this vegan tea in my hands so it made the snow a little magical and cozy.
- It takes less than 10 minutes to make this vegan latte. I’m all about the quick recipes especially if you have a busy day ahead of you. This earl grey tea latte will still put a little pep in your step and won’t take up a lot of your time making it.
- I’ve been using the Califia Farms Oat Milk to froth my vegan latte. I love the taste and texture of this milk! It doesn’t have the most advanced barista effect, which I don’t mind (although it does still froth). But if you are more particular try this one or this one. The latter is intended for you to embrace your inner barista. But again, if you aren’t picky, any plant-based milk will taste great with the other ingredients of this vegan latte.
For More Vegan Latte Recipes, Try These:
Guys, over here in Canada the cold weather is coming and although I’m still loving my smoothies, I’m now also really embracing those warm drinks like this earl grey tea latte. So to stay warm and sane this season, I suggest stepping your tea, frothing your milk, adding a little sweetener and vanilla, snuggling back into bed and calling in sick to work. I’m guessing that’s the best advice you’ve gotten this week.
Earl Grey Tea Latte
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 earl grey tea bag
- 3/4 cup oat milk (steamed/ frothed/ or use your fav plantbased milk)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Boil water for the tea. Once boiled, pour 1/2 cup of boiling water into a cup and add the teabag. Let steep for a few minutes while you froth your milk.
- Add the maple syrup and vanilla to the hot water and tea bag and stir.
- Add the frothed milk to the cup. And stir to incorporate flavours. Option to continue steeping or remove the teabag.
- Best enjoyed immediately.