Christmas is ONE WEEK AWAY. CRAZY. The countdown is on until I head out to my family’s cabin on the Sunshine Coast! I am SO looking forward to hunkering down, drinking LOTS of hot chocolate, and watching National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation on repeat. But first, this vegan gingerbread cacao smoothie. It’s basically a gingerbread cookie in a glass. So overindulge all you want.
What’s in this vegan gingerbread cacao smoothie?
This Christmas smoothie is like a liquid version of the yummy gingerbread man. But you may be wondering how it tastes so good and yet is a healthy alternative to the delicious cookie classic. This gingerbread cacao smoothie only has clean ingredients such as banana, dates, cacao, molasses, coconut yogurt, cinnamon, ginger and almond milk. There is also a spoonful of almond butter to give the smoothie a creamy texture. This dairy free smoothie is rich in magnesium, iron, and vitamin C. Cacao powder is a superfood, so this smoothie should have you feeling like a superhuman this holiday.
here are a few reasons why I love this Christmas smoothie, so listen up!
- This dairy free smoothie is loaded with good sources of iron. About 1 tbsp of blackstrap molasses contains 20% of your daily intake of iron. As a person who struggles with anemia, I love finding iron-rich foods that give me a little boost throughout my day. This Christmas smoothie has exactly 1 tbsp of molasses in it- so that’s a big checkmark for 20% of my daily iron intake. Cacao also is a high source of iron. Combined with vitamin C from the banana will help with iron absorption. With this smoothie in hand, no one is going to be tired and sluggish this holiday season.
- This vegan gingerbread cacao smoothie is a liquid version of the classic gingerbread cookie. With this smoothie, you can actually have gingerbread for breakfast. Although it will be in the form of the smoothie, all the festive flavours will be there. It’s a great holiday snack to keep you moving through this busy season. This cacao smoothie is sweet, creamy, spicy and refreshing.
- I love a good reason to enjoy a drink with a straw. I find smoothies are too thick to just simply sip from the glass. That’s where my metal reusable straws come in. I got mine from a Christmas market a few years ago, but they look similar to these ones. I have a cleaning wand that helps to keep my straws in good shape and makes cleaning them a breeze. Any excuse to use a straw and I’m in. I’m convinced this dairy free smoothie tastes better when using a straw!
I totally believe in treating yourself throughout the holiday season in the food department, but I also believe in balance. Sometimes you want an ooey-gooey ginger molasses cookie, but other times you need something a bit healthier to balance out all the goodies. So I made this festive Christmas smoothie. It’s ginger-packed, creamy, and keeps you in the holiday spirit without scarfing down 12 cookies. Balance, right?! I mean, you can still eat the 12 cookies if you want, no judgment here.♥
vegan gingerbread smoothie
- 1 frozen banana
- 3-4 medjool dates (pits removed)
- 1 tbsp blackstrap molasses
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- 1/3 cup coconut yogurt
- 1 cup almond milk
- Combine all ingredients in a blender. Blend until smooth. If the smoothie is too thick, add 1/4 cup more of almond milk at a time.