There is something comforting and ever so satisfying about the smell of freshly baked brownies in your home. Maybe it’s just me, but it takes me back to my childhood every time. Certain smells in the kitchen definitely give me feelings of nostalgia thanks to my mama’s love for baking and introducing me to it at a young age. Whether brownies take you for a short journey down memory lane or you just really have a chocolate craving, these gluten-free brownies are for you.
I’m not sure where my mom got her recipes from, but I do know she would dress every cake and pan of brownies with coffee icing- it’s the best thing ever, and is a family favourite. For these gluten-free brownies, I wanted to limit the amount of sugar that is traditionally in icing, so this is more of a glaze- but ever so life changing- and won’t disappoint.
These are moist, perfectly sweet, chocolate filled, and Picky Husband Approved. These brownies are great for any occasion, even just for a mid-week treat!♥
time to make 60 minutes (including freezer time) |makes 8 squares
- 1 cup ALMOND FLOUR
- 1/3 cup COCOA POWDER
- 1/3 cup CANE SUGAR
- 1 teaspoon BAKING SODA
- 1 teaspoon CINNAMON
- 1/4 teaspoon SEA SALT
- 2 tablespoons ALMOND MILK
- 2 EGGS
- 1 teaspoon VANILLA
- 1/3 cup ALMOND BUTTER
- 1/4 cup PECANS (optional)
- COCONUT FLAKES to top (optional)
- 1/4 cup COCONUT OIL
- ½ cup CHOCOLATE CHIPS (I used the Enjoy Life Foods Brand)
- ¼ cup COFFEE / or ESPRESSO (espresso will give a stronger “coffee” flavour, but if you use coffee, there will be a nice subtle coffee flavour)
- Preheat oven to 350°F, and line a standard loaf pan with parchment paper (8 1/2″ x 4 1/2″).
- Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl. Combine all wet ingredients in another bowl. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and thoroughly combine.
- Add the batter to the prepared loaf pan and bake in the oven for 18-22 minutes (test with a toothpick to see if brownies are done- should come out clean). Let brownies cool for ten minutes in the pan, then remove and place on a cooling rack. Let cool completely before digging in!
- Prepare the glaze/icing. Place the coconut oil, chocolate and coffee/espresso all in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Once everything is melted, pour over the brownies, or drizzle using a spoon, and top with pecans and coconut. I suggest putting the brownies with the icing on them in the freezer to harden for about 30 minutes.
- Enjoy! Best stored in an airtight container.