Are you drooling yet? 2 desserts in 1, right here. Vegan AND gluten free ice cream sandwiches. The bonus is that these ice cream sandwiches are COFFEE ice cream sandwiches. If this is a preview to how your summer is going to go, then this summer might be the best one ever.
I was recently in Victoria, B.C celebrating my sister’s birthday, when we came across a gem of a place called Cold Comfort. They had freezers full of homemade vegan and gluten free ice cream sandwiches. I. Was. In. Heaven.
For a person with so many limitations to her diet, whenever I happen upon something so out of the ordinary it almost brings tears to my eyes. So thank you, Cold Comfort for being amazing, and giving me such a blissful experience. It was the perfect way to end our girls trip. And it inspired me to created something just as magical in my own kitchen so that everyone could treat themselves this summer without having to make a road trip out of it. Thus, these beautiful coffee flavoured, gluten free ice cream sandwiches were born.
These ice cream sandwiches are obviously Picky Husband Approved- he’d have to be crazy not to love these. But be warned, you probably won’t be able to stop at one ♥
Gluten Free Ice Cream Sandwiches
time to make: 4.5 hours (mostly wait time) | serves 4-5
gluten free + vegan cookie ingredients
- 1 + 1/2 cup ALMOND FLOUR
- 1/2 teaspoon BAKING SODA
- 1/2 teaspoon BAKING POWDER
- 1/2 teaspoon CINNAMON
- 1/3 cup CANE SUGAR
- pinch of SEA SALT
- 1/4 cup melted and cooled COCONUT OIL
- 1 teaspoon VANILLA
- 1 FLAX EGG (1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed + mix with 3 tablespoons of water, let sit for 5-10 minutes until yolky consistency forms)
vegan ice cream ingredients
- 2 cans of full-fat COCONUT MILK ( left in the fridge for 2 days before, to let the liquid and cream separate)
- 10 MEDJOOL DATES
- 4-5 tablespoons HOT WATER
- 1 shot of ESPRESSO ( ~1/2 cup)
- Preheat oven to 350°F, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Prepare the flax egg and let sit for 5- 10 minutes, until yolky consistency forms.
- Add all the dry ingredients in one bowl. Mix all wet ingredients together. Add the wet ingredients to the bowl of dry ingredients. Thoroughly combine.
- Using a melon scoop, scoop cookies onto the baking sheet, gently press down to flatten- should make 8-10 cookies.
- Bake for 14 minutes. Let cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes.
ice cream directions
- Put the coconut cans in the fridge for 2 days in advance.
- Remove the pits from the dates. Place the dates in the food processor and add the hot water to the dates. Next, blend until a date paste forms (smooth consistency).
- Add the coconut cream from the cans to a chilled bowl (pop a bowl in the freezer 10 minutes before using). Do not pour the liquid portion of the can in the bowl. You can probably use a handheld beater-but I used my Kitchen Aid. Mix the coconut cream, until smooth.
- Next, add in the date paste and the shot of espresso. Mix until smooth.
- Pour the ice cream mixture in a glass container, with a lid. Place in the freezer for one hour.
- At the one hour mark, take the ice cream out of the freezer, and begin to create the ice cream sandwiches. Ice cream will still be very soft.
- I used about 4 tablespoons of ice cream per ice cream sandwich. It is completely a personal preference of how much ice cream to add. Once the sandwiches have been created, place back in the freezer for 3 hours or more. You may have some leftover ice cream and no one should complain about that!
- Before enjoying, take the sandwiches out of the freezer and let them thaw for 10 minutes.