I’m pretty much obsessed with peppermint- the smell and taste of it. I know you can’t add peppermint extract to everything you make, but around the holiday season, sometimes I can’t resist! These fabulous chocolate mint balls taste like After Eights, so unless you’re weird and a little grinchy you really can’t pass up flavours like this. And you guessed it…Picky Husband Approved!
don’t be a grinch
Yesterday, I got stuck in a 30-minute traffic jam in the mall parking lot. The whole time, I was wishing I had one of these peppermint balls on hand to munch on while I attempted that thing called “patience”. I always like to have a few healthy snacks tucked away in my bag while I’m out. This stops me from having to buy food that isn’t the greatest for me, just because I have a “hangry” episode coming on. These minty bites will keep you sane and bring out that holiday spirit as you prepare for Christmas.
here are a few reasons why I love these mint balls, so listen up!
- They take 15 to make! They do need 20 minutes in the fridge to hold their shape. But only 15 minutes of work is required to make these. Then you will have a snack that lasts you the week.
- These peppermint balls are completely naturally sweetened. That’s right, only dates are used to sweeten this vegan snack. No added cane sugar, maple syrup or coconut sugar. The dates are the star of these bites of heaven.
- Adam and I like to go snowshoeing on our weekends and these mint balls always get packed. They help us re-charge and continue to enjoy our adventures. They are the perfect fuel for a day full of traipsing through the forest.
These chocolate mint balls are great to toss in a jar and eat while you’re on the go. They will probably even give you the extra strength that you need when you are fighting off fellow shoppers for the last of whatever it is you are searching for this holiday season. So eat these bites before OR after eight, and you’ll keep that holiday spirit alive.♥
chocolate mint balls
- 1 cup nuts of choice (I suggest cashews or almonds)
- 10 medjool dates (pits removed)
- 2 tbsp flax meal
- 3 tbsp cacao powder (or cocoa powder)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 tbsp almond butter
- Start by mixing the dates (pits removed), and the nuts together in a food processor until a crumbly mixture is produced.
- Next, add the rest of the ingredients until well blended. The batter should be the same consistency as cookie dough batter, and when you form a ball everything remains together.
- Form into balls (you’re choice of size! I did about 1 tablespoon in size), and freeze for 10 min or refrigerate for 20 minutes. Store in a container in the fridge.