It’s the season for iced drinks. The warm weather has been a little late to arrive over here in BC but I’m still holding out for that sunshine. And when it arrives, I will have my Iced Dirty Chai Latte in hand to keep me refreshed. To make this vegan latte, you only need 5 ingredients- that’s all. Make the tea and coffee ahead of time and then this recipe can be ready in less than 5 minutes- cue shocked faces. That’s right, 5 minutes. So I highly suggest always having chilled chai tea and coffee in the fridge this summer so that you are minutes away from gulping down this energizing, spicy dirty chai latte.
Why You’ll Love This Dirty Chai Latte
- This vegan latte is REFRESHING for those hot days. But if it’s a chilly day, forgo the ice and steam the milk, keep the tea and coffee HOT and you have yourself a warm dirty chai latte. Basically, you can drink this drank in any weather.
- 5 ingredients. Enough said.
- The milk portions for this iced dirty chai latte don’t have to be spot on, it’s more about preference. Some people like more milky lattes while others don’t. So start with a smaller amount of your favourite milk and then adjust and add more if needed.
What Is A Dirty Chai Latte?
A dirty chai latte isn’t as complicated as it may sound. It involves steeped chai tea, milk of choice, some type of sweetener and an espresso shot (or two, depending on how strong you like it). This latte is perfect on those days when you need a little extra caffeine boost.
How To Make An Iced Latte
It’s simple. Add ice.
Okay, it’s a little more complicated than adding ice but not by much. I suggest brewing the chai tea and the coffee a few hours before wanting an iced latte. But if you are smart you’ll just always have a jar of chilled chai tea (I used PC Orangics tea for this recipe) and a jar of cold coffee sitting in the fridge so you can make this iced latte in 5 minutes. If you are smart. And if you aren’t, you’ll just have to wait for the tea and coffee to cool down before adding the ice, milk and maple syrup. The milk you use is totally up to you. I find soy worked the best but that is just always my go-to plant-based milk. Oat, almond, and cashew would all work great in this recipe.
But once the tea and coffee are chilly, add ice, milk and maple syrup to a cup, then pour in the tea and coffee. The tea in the recipe below makes enough for 2 lattes, so if you feel like sharing you can. And if not, you have enough for a latte tomorrow.
I find the latte gets perfectly chilled if you have a jar with a lid and you can shake the dirty chai latte. But stirring it works as well if you don’t feel like pulling out your mediocre bartender skills.
When it’s all said and done, the only reason this is an iced latte is that we added ice to it. If you want a hot dirty chai latte, leave the ice out, and keep every warmed and steamed. But for summer, give the iced latte a try.
For More Vegan Summer Recipes, Try These:
When there is no body of water in sight, sometimes an iced dirty chai latte is just what you need to cool down. Shake it, stir it and gulp it, and you’ll be feeling very refreshed. You most likely have these 5 ingredients on hand, which just makes creating this vegan latte so much easier. Honestly, it’s so easy to make, you won’t believe it, use your favourite milk, it will taste beyond delicious no matter the plant-based milk. Let this dirty chai latte be your new summer sipper, to keep the sweating at bay on the hot days ahead.
Iced Dirty Chai Latte
- 2 chai tea bags + 2 cups hot water
- 1/2-1 cup soy milk (divided)
- 2-4 tbsp maple syrup (divided)
- 2 shots espresso or 1.5 cups strong coffee (divided)
- 2 handfuls of ice
- Add 2 chai tea bags to 2 cups of boiling hot water. Let it steep and then let it cool either by leaving it on the counter top or place it in the fridge. Roughly 2 hours.
- Brew the coffee/espresso and let this sit on the counter to cool down too.
- When the coffee and tea are at room temperature (or colder) Add 1 cup of chai tea to each glass along with a handful of ice. Add 1-2 tbsp of maple syrup, 1/2 cup of soy milk and 1 shot of espresso to each glass. Stir or shake altogether.
- Enjoy right away!