A few weeks ago, there was so much zucchini in the house, I didn’t know what to do with it all! Luckily, my mom was in town and she decided to make a vegan zucchini soup to use up some of the veg. And boy did she hit it spot on. This soup is crazy creamy (thanks to Mr. Potato) and is loaded with garden-fresh herbs which makes the soup next level. So if you find you have a lot of zucchini in your life, make this soup, freeze it, eat it, slurp it, do whatever, but know that it will make your belly very happy.
Sometimes it’s hard to get creative with vegetables. Especially when you have A TON of one thing and you get sick of eating it just one way. So my mom was an angel and whipped up a zucchini and potato soup. It was amazing, so it obviously needed to go on the blog. My mom is a travelling gypsy (she’s not actually a gypsy- she just travels a lot). Over the last few years, she embraced her travelling soul and placed her domestic self on a shelf for the time being. She’s been exploring the world (she also has a wicked cool travel blog that you guys should all take a peek at. It’s awesome) but she always says she doesn’t remember how to cook anymore. Well, she’s a big fat liar, cause she killed it with the soup! I guess she’s still got it!
Here are a few reasons why I love this vegan zucchini soup, so listen up!
- The fresh thyme, rosemary and basil are such a lovely combo in this green vegan soup. This soup has such simple ingredients but such big flavour!
- For a guy who doesn’t love veg, soup is usually a good compromise for me and the picky husband. This way he gets loads of nutrients without even realizing how much goodness he is ingesting!
- It makes me think of my mom when I take a big slurp! Being in the kitchen is so much more than just eating for me. It’s about the experiences you create and memories you make with the people around you as you cook, chop and enjoy the food together.
- This zucchini and potato soup is the perfect mid-week dinner. You can make it on the weekend and store it in the fridge or if you want it for later on, you can freeze it! I love freezing meals because they take very minimal prep the night you decide to enjoy them!
The point of this post is that this soup is da bomb. Enjoy it right away, hot out of the pot, or freeze it for a rainy day- the choice is yours. This soup is creamy, vegan and loaded with all things deliciousness- mama knows best.
Creamy Vegan Zucchini Soup
- 2 cups white potato (chopped to inch cubes/about 1 medium potato)
- 2-3 zucchinis (chopped to 1 inch pieces/ roughly 6 cups, skins left on)
- 1 cup carrots (chopped= 6 small carrots)
- 1 small white onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- 1/4 cup fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup fresh rosemary
- 2 cups water (Potato water)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- Start by chopping up all your veggies and bring a pot of water to boil. I ended up boiling my potato separately so I didn’t have to simmer the soup for a long time just for the potato to cook- but if you want to throw everything in a pot, the potato will cook it will probably just have to simmer for longer.
- Add the chopped potato to the boiling water and boil for roughly 10-15 minutes, or until the potato is soft. (Test by poking the potato with a fork- the fork should be able to pass through the chopped potato easily).
- As the potato is boiling, heat 1 tsp of oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and let sauté for a few minutes. Next, add the chopped zucchini and carrots. Add the herbs and the salt and pepper.
- Add 2 cups of vegetable broth to the pot. At this point, your potato should be soft. Take 2 cups of the potato water and add it to the pot with the other veggies. Bring to a boil.
- Drain any other water left over from the potato pot. Add the potato to the pot with everything else and reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 20-30 minutes, until the zucchini and carrots are soft.
- Add the soup to a high-speed blender and blend until smooth.
- Enjoy right away or freeze the soup for a later time.