Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream has to be one of my go-to’s. I love most things with mint in the ingredient list- so of course, I’d love mint ice cream. I was inspired by recently finding a vegan mint chocolate chip ice cream (that blew my mind) to create a healthy smoothie alternative when you don’t feel like indulging in the creamy sweetness of ice cream. This Mint Chocolate Smoothie is bound to satisfy your sweet tooth, keep you full yet remain a healthy snack for your mid-day break.
The ice cream that has recently made all my dreams come true is by Nada Moo. I’ve only tried their Cookies n Creme and the Lotta Mint Chip. But let me tell you they are amazing. Side note, this isn’t a sponsored post, their ice cream is just so delicious that I have to mention them. They also have a ton of other flavours which I’m excited to try. Anyways, while I was munching on the Lotta Mint Chip, I was inspired to create a mint chocolate smoothie. Because mint is one of my favourite flavours and non dairy smoothies are one of my favourite snacks- this smoothie needed to happen.
what’s in this mint chocolate smoothie
Now don’t get me wrong, this non dairy smoothie is definitely not as creamy as a pint of ice cream, but it comes pretty close. It’s a healthier option, as well as completely naturally sweetened by banana and dates. The creaminess in this mint chocolate chip smoothie comes from the coconut milk in it. I did half full fat coconut milk and half almond milk. If you want full-on creaminess and more of an indulgent smoothie go full 1 cup coconut milk. The green colour is from a big handful of kale, yet you don’t taste the kale. So you are getting your veggies as well as the green colour that is needed in mint chip anything.
here are some of the reasons why I love this non dairy smoothie, so listen up!
- A non dairy smoothie that tastes like one of my favourite ice creams?! I’m all in. Although a healthier option, this mint chocolate chip smoothie doesn’t skimp on taste. It has way less sugar than it’s ice cream counterpart, as well as the sweetener in this recipe is completely natural, thanks to the dates and banana.
- I’m a huge smoothie fan. I enjoy them all year round. I love that they are a quick and healthy snack. It’s so easy to throw an extra handful of kale into a smoothie without altering the taste. This mint chocolate smoothie falls under all the above statements. It’s fast to make, healthy, and even has that handful of kale in it. If you want to make it even healthier, you could leave out the chocolate at the end. You will still have the mint taste. This recipe is cooling and ever so refreshing either way.
- This non dairy smoothie has simple ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry. I had mint extract leftover from the Christmas holidays because I didn’t make enough minty things apparently! But mint doesn’t have to be reserved for the winter months, it fits perfectly in this smoothie and any pint of mint chip ice cream you buy this summer!
for the mint lovers out there
I hadn’t enjoyed mint chip ice cream in a long time. I hadn’t seen a vegan version in the stores until I came across Nada Moo’s. And from there that pint of ice cream just really got the wheels turning. If you have a hankering for mint and chocolate but you don’t have ice cream in your freezer, this non dairy smoothie will do the job.
The great thing about having a mint chocolate chip smoothie is that it doesn’t sit heavy after enjoying it. It gives you the energy to power on through your day while having a delicious flavour. So if you are a mint fan and a smoothie fan, this drink is for you. When you run out of that pint of ice cream, know that there is another solution- this mint chocolate smoothie.
Mint Chocolate Smoothie
- 1 cup plantbased milk (I used half full fat coconut milk and half almond milk)
- 1 handful kale (roughly 1 cup)
- 1 frozen banana
- 1/2 tsp mint extract
- 2 dates (pits removed)
- handful of vegan chocolate chips
- Blend all the ingredients except for the chocolate in a high-speed blender, until smooth.
- Once the smoothie is mixed, add in the chocolate and blend for a few seconds to break down the chocolate bites. Serve immediately.