I feel like there isn’t a soul in the world that doesn’t enjoy a good caesar salad. The best thing about making your own salad dressing is you see WHAT you are putting into your body. All it takes is throwing ingredients into a blender and blending until it’s smooth. You only need to dirty one container when making this Dairy Free Caesar Dressing. It is my go-to salad dressing. It’s ALWAYS a crowd-pleaser and one of the picky husband’s favs.
how long do homemade salad dressings last?
In my humble opinion, homemade salad dressings do not last as long as store bought ones. But that’s ok, because in my mind fresh is always best. This easy vegan caesar dressing lasts a good ten days before I would suggest dumping it. But good news, you probably won’t have that issue because it will be hard not to finish this dairy free caesar dressing before the ten days are up! As a rule I would give any salad dressing I am making from scratch ten days or so (stored in the fridge) before I retire them- just to be safe.
here are a few reasons why I love this raw vegan salad dressing, so listen up!
- I have many vegan salad dressing recipes that I love but I find I don’t use them as often as this dairy free caesar dressing. I love the smooth texture and the flavours of the garlic, dijon, tahini, green onion and lemon. The flavours take on the classic taste of a caesar dressing but with a little flare.
- Any dressing that gets Adam (the Picky Husband) to eat his veggies, I am in. We have this raw vegan salad dressing on the regular. I will add chickpea croutons to most of the caesar salads I eat. They add such a good crunch and pair really nicely with romaine, roasted pumpkin seeds, cucumber and this dairy free caesar dressing.
- I found the thickness of this raw vegan salad dressing was perfect for me (and Adam agreed). Some people prefer a thicker caesar dressing and some prefer it thinned out. If you like yours on the thinner side, just add another tablespoon or so of water. I found that after the dressing sits in the fridge, it thickens just slightly if you don’t let it sit out in room temperature before using. Therefore, I would suggest adding a splash more water if you don’t let it sit out then give it a quick stir, and bob’s your uncle.
My favourite way to blend any of my vegan salad dressing recipes is by using the blending cups for my Vitamix. If you don’t have a Vitamix, a magic bullet would be a similar idea. It’s just a personal preference but I like using the smaller cups/attachments then the big blender body. I find the cups get smaller recipe batches (like a salad dressing) smoother than if using the main blender body.
This dairy free caesar dressing is one of my favs. It’s perfect for a summer side, a pick-me-up lunch, or even in the fall when you just want a bowl of veggies. Put whatever you want in your caesar salad because this dressing will be the star of the bowl no matter what’s in it!
dairy free caesar dressing
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tbsp oil (I use avocado oil )
- 3 tsp capers
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 green onion sprig
- 8 tbsp water
- sea salt and pepper
- Add all the ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth. Store in the fridge for up to ten days.