Typically people start saying goodbye to summer after the labour day weekend. I’m here to tell you we still have a month of summer left, and no one should be waving bye just yet. Everyone is in need of a refreshing, thirst-quenching drink in the summer heat. Think Orange Julius + Creamsicle because this Carrot Orange Smoothie is kicking that summer heat right in the behind!
This healthy orange smoothie is so refreshing you won’t want to share with anyone! It’s a great quick morning breakfast, an afternoon snack or “I just feel like it” kind of thing. I love orange flavoured foods, and this sure hits the spot. It doesn’t take long to throw everything in a blender and voila! I enjoy smoothies at any time of the year. I don’t have a cut off time, due to the change of seasons. BUT, if you are like that, then this might be your last hurrah on the smoothie train for a little bit- so you better get on board and enjoy while you can!
is this healthy orange smoothie picky husband approved?
The Picky Husband is ALWAYS honest, sometimes too honest, but I’ll take it. And he really doesn’t like smoothies (surprise, surprise). I think it’s the texture?! Usually, I make some extra smoothie for him so that I know he is getting some vitamins, fruit and veg in a day. He usually drinks them with a plugged nose, as quick as he can and then chugs a glass of water right after AND THEN he breathes like he’s been without air for 5 minutes. It’s really quite the ordeal. But I look forward to it because I find it entertaining. I savour every sip of a smoothie because they are my jam, so I think he is crazy and vice versa. Anyways, he didn’t plug his nose when he tossed this carrot orange smoothie back, so I see that as a win.
The vibrant orange/yellow colour of this dairy free smoothie comes from the carrot and the orange peel that are added in. The orange peel also contributes to that delicious orangey flavour. The cashews and coconut milk are what make this orange creamsicle next-level creamy. I suggest soaking the cashews for 30 minutes in boiled water (IF you don’t have a high-speed blender). If you do have a Vitamix or Ninja or Blendtec, you shouldn’t need to soak them.
here are a few reasons why I love this smoothie, so listen up!
- The orange flavour is so fresh and different. I don’t normally think to add orange to a smoothie. So it’s a nice change-up! It takes me back to the days at the mall and grabbing an Orange Julius mid-shop to re-energize. This healthy orange smoothie tastes like the real deal. It’s loaded with all wholesome ingredients and will keep you refreshed.
- There are hidden veggies in this smoothie! Bonus! Well, it’s one carrot but hey you could probably get away with adding a few more- I won’t tell.
- Smoothies are my favourite for a quick and simple snack. They are so easy to make and are loaded with yummy nutrients for your tastebuds and your body. For this carrot orange smoothie, you can make it year-round. Simply, pop that summer fruit and veg in the freezer when it is in season and then use it all through the winter!
This flavour-packed cup of goodness may be your new favourite dairy free smoothie. It’s perfect to keep you cool and refreshed in the summer, but it also can be a tasty breakfast in the winter months because it can be made in under ten minutes! I know I change up my go-to smoothie all the time, but this carrot orange smoothie, it’s a good-er that I’ll keep coming back to.
orange creamsicle smoothie
- 2 large oranges (peeled removed- but keep 1/2 of a peel)
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1/2 orange peel (washed and added for more orange flavour and orange colour)
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 medium carrot
- 1/4 cup cashews (soaked beforehand if you don’t have a high speed blender)
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1-2 ice cubes
- Add all the ingredients into a high-speed blender and blend until smooth. As noted above, if you don’t have a high-speed blender (such as a Vitamix) it might be a good idea to soak your cashews beforehand!