By now, you should know my love for peanut butter. If you don’t, just know I’m very much obsessed with the nut butter. So I thought, why not combine peanut butter with one of my favourite breakfast snacks (AKA granola). Which is just what I did. I made Peanut Butter Granola Clusters that are bound to get you out of bed in the morning. You might even wake up before your alarm because your tastebuds will be so excited-maybe.
Why You’ll Love This Gluten Free Granola
- This peanut butter granola is made with a combination of oats, nuts, seeds, peanut butter, coconut sugar, maple syrup, and coconut oil. The oat mixture is then baked in the oven until it becomes crispy and golden brown. The flavours and crispiness of the final product is amazing. You’re going to love it.
- Extra large clusters is the name of the game when it comes to this gluten free granola. If that’s your thing, this recipe is perfect for you.
- This recipe is great for meal prepping. Make this vegan granola before your busy week and then have breakfast ready in no time.
How To Make Granola Clusters
One of the keys to making your granola cluster and clump together is to have binding ingredients. The flax, coconut oil, peanut butter and maple syrup all work to hold the granola together so that large pieces can be formed. The main way to have large clumps is to press down firmly on it before you place it in the oven. So you need to pour the homemade vegan granola on a baking sheet and spread it around evenly. Then take a rolling pin or the bottom of a measuring cup and press firmly down on your granola.
Another important note to pay attention to is that you don’t flip the granola AT ALL during the baking process. You leave it be. Once it has baked and cooled, break the gluten free granola up with your fingers. Make whatever size granola clusters you desire. And lastly, add the chocolate chips (if you choose to do so). No one wants crumbly little pieces of granola so stick with these clusters. We all want large clumps and those are the tricks to make it happen.
This Easy Granola Recipe Is…
- The perfect combination of peanut butter and chocolate. They balance each other out beautifully in this homemade vegan granola. If you don’t want to have chocolate in the morning or your kids to have chocolate, these peanut butter granola clusters would be a great afternoon snack. You can also just leave the chocolate out of the granola (because it is added at the end) and the gluten free granola is still absolutely delicious.
- A great recipe to pack away for work. This peanut butter granola is filling and versatile with what you want to serve with it. I’m a simple gal and I always gravitate towards my favourite vegan yogurts (Yoso or Riveria) and top the granola clusters with fruit. Simple, flavourful, and hearty to keep me motoring for the rest of the day.
- Quick to prepare. The preparation for these homemade granola clusters takes ten minutes. It’s so quick to make on a Saturday or Sunday morning. This granola requires 35 minutes or so to bake and then you are left with tasty granola to snack on throughout the day. It is 100% cheaper than buying any granola at the health food store. I’m always shocked at how expensive bags of granola are because it’s quite affordable to make your own. I understand we are all about convenience these days, but keep in mind this recipe takes less than an hour to make. And most of the time it’s just baking in the oven. I don’t know but that sounds pretty easy and convenient to me.
Easy Peanut Butter Recipes
I’ve now let you in on my secret way of creating granola clusters. The peanut butter and chocolate combo create a gluten free granola that is decadent and almost dessert-like. It’s like the jackpot of all breakfasts because of the plethora of ingredients used. These homemade granola clusters are loaded with beautiful flavours of cinnamon, peanut butter and vanilla. It’s sweetened with coconut and maple goodness and full of protein from the nuts and seeds added. It’s a fancy take on classic granola that will help you start your day off right. Peanut butter granola can be enjoyed as a standalone snack or mixed with plant based milk or yogurt for a filling and nutritious breakfast.
Peanut Butter Granola Clusters
- 3.5 cups rolled oats (gluten free)
- 1 cup nuts (I used almonds and pumpkin seeds)
- 3 tbsps flax meal
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4-1/2 tsp sea salt (to taste)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (melted)
- 1/2 cup peanut butter (smooth)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips (added after baking process)
- Preheat the oven to 325ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Melt coconut oil over low heat. Set aside to cool down.
- Add the oats, nuts (option to chop smaller if desired), flax meal, coconut sugar, cinnamon and sea salt to a large bowl.
- Combine the coconut oil with the rest of the wet ingredients (maple syrup, peanut butter and vanilla). Stir until the mixture is smooth.
- Combine the wet ingredients to the dry. You might need to get your hands in the bowl to thoroughly mix the granola. Option to taste test here, decide if it needs a little more salt or cinnamon.
- Pour the granola onto the prepared baking sheet. Spread it around evenly. I find this granola mixture doesn’t completely cover the whole baking sheet (just over 3/4 of it). Before placing it in the oven, use a sturdy, flat surface (I used the back of my metal measuring up) to firmly press down on the granola. This action is key for making it clump together. Press firmly down and then place it in the oven for 30-35 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through. It’s important to note, you do not want to stir or mix the granola at all during the baking process.
- Once the granola is looking golden on top, remove it from the oven and let it completely cool. Once cooled, use your hands to break pieces of the granola apart. They will form large clumps. Mix in the chocolate.
- Store granola in a large sealed container for 2 weeks.