Let’s take a trip to a tropical paradise. Sitting on the beach, drinking THIS healthy Pina Colada Smoothie. A vegan, non-dairy smoothie that is refreshing, creamy, and naturally sweet with hints of lime, coconut and pineapple. It’s been a while since I posted a new smoothie recipe but I think this one sure hits the spot. If you close your eyes and take a sip it will feel like you’re right on the beach.
how to make a non-dairy smoothie
To my plant-based community, this might be a silly question. But for those of you who are new on the non-dairy train and are just testing the waters, let me tell you. There are so many non-dairy alternatives in grocery stores now, you shouldn’t feel like you are missing out. This non-dairy smoothie is loaded with fruit and a little protein. The liquid base of this recipe is light coconut milk. A vegan pina colada anything needs to have a little hint of coconut in it, which is why I chose this milk alternative over almond or oat milk. The coconut milk adds flavour and creaminess but I chose the light version so that it wasn’t overly heavy. It’s so simple nowadays to swap out the dairy to create a lovely and refreshing non-dairy smoothie.
The Picky Husband even enjoyed this vegan pina colada sipper. Adam typically does not enjoy smoothies- I know, he is crazy. Most of my shock and disappointment in our relationship comes from his smoothie hatred. Sometimes I just want to gush about the flavours and amazingness that are smoothies, and he will have none of it. Most of the time he plugs his nose as he drinks them. I know, PLUGS HIS NOSE?! The dramatics. However, with this healthy pina colada smoothie, no nose was plugged, and he sipped it like he was on a beach and there was rum, not coconut milk in it. WINNING!
Here are some reasons why I love this healthy pina colada smoothie, so listen up!
- This non-dairy smoothie is smooth and creamy. It also reminds me of the beach and hot weather so you can’t really go wrong with taking a sip.
- This vegan pina colada smoothie is an awesome healthy breakfast. We all have those mornings when time seems to disappear and you’re left with your hair uncombed, wearing mismatched socks and your shirt is on backwards. At least your stomach won’t be grumbling if you have this in your belly!
- I love the lime addition- it adds that tangy tropical goodness that pairs really nicely with the pineapple and coconut. This healthy pina colada smoothie is vegan, gluten-free, and is loaded with yummy healthiness. I’ve added a few optional ingredients to the recipe as well. I like to add a pinch of Ceylon cinnamon to most of my smoothies, as cinnamon has amazing health benefits and you don’t notice the added pinch. I also suggested adding a handful of greens. Adding greens doesn’t alter the taste but it does change the colour of the smoothie. But if you are looking to getting some extra greens into your day, throw them into this smoothie.
- Who doesn’t love a good refreshing smoothie? This healthy pina colada smoothie NEEDS to be your go-to summer sip. I do know we are months away from summer, but that spring sunshine has me brainstorming all sorts of fun summer foods to create and I might as well get a head start with this tropical paradise drink.
What contributes to making a happy day for you? Maybe this non-dairy smoothie will sweeten your day just a little, or perhaps going to a flowy yoga class, hiking a mountain, snuggling with your animals/ loved ones or dancing in your kitchen to your favourite tunes are your sure-fire ways to making a great day. But if you aren’t exactly sure what makes you feel like you’re walking on sunshine on a grey day (or any day), maybe start with this beachy vegan drink of goodness- it’s sure to brighten your day, or at least your tastebuds.
healthy pina colada smoothie
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 cup frozen pineapple
- 1 can light coconut milk (400mL)
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1 tbsp hemp hearts
- pinch of cinnamon (optional)
- handful of greens (optional- as it will change the colour of the smoothie)
- Combine all ingredients into a high-speed blender and then blend until smooth!
- This smoothie is perfect to share between two but it is also good for one if you are extra thirsty!