Let’s take a trip to a tropical paradise. Sitting on the beach, drinking THIS refreshing Pina Colada Smoothie. This vegan smoothie is tangy, creamy, and naturally sweet with hints of lime, coconut and pineapple. This recipe uses minimal ingredients- and by minimal, I mean 4 ingredients. So we are keeping this pina colada smoothie nice and simple! It’s been a while since I posted a new smoothie recipe but I think this one sure hits the spot. If you close your eyes and take a sip of this coconut milk pina colada it will feel like you’re right on the beach and who wouldn’t want that!?
Why You’ll Love This Coconut Milk Pina Colada
- This pina colada smoothie calls for 4 ingredients and then there are a few optional ingredients in case you want to add some protein and greens. But I left these as optional because they will change the colour of the smoothie although not so much the taste!
- Talk about a refreshing afternoon snack. This vegan smoothie has major beach vibes with its tropical and tangy flavours. Let each sip transport you to the beach.
- This coconut milk pina colada takes less than ten minutes to make. I’m always up for a healthy, and nutritious snack (with added protein) that doesn’t take long to make and will taste delicious.
The Best Vegan Protein Powder
Adding protein powder to this vegan smoothie is totally optional, but it is rare that I don’t add a scoop of protein powder or a few tablespoons of hemp seeds to my smoothies. My absolute go-to protein powders are Vega and Hemp Yeah! The Vega protein powder uses pea protein, which I love, but I know it’s not everyone’s cup of tea. The great thing about the Hemp Yeah! protein powder is that it is overall pretty flavourless and it literally has one ingredient- hemp. I initially used the Hemp Yeah! in this pina colada smoothie, and it will change the colour of it to a slight greeny colour. But the taste of the smoothie didn’t change. Whereas the natural Vega protein powder will not change the colour of the smoothie. Both protein powders add a good amount of protein to any smoothie and I truly really enjoy both. I highly recommend adding a scoop or two of your favourite protein powder to this coconut milk pina colada for that added boost of nutrition!
Tips For Making This Pina Colada Smoothie
- I like using Thai Kitchen’s Coconut Milk whenever I use coconut milk in any recipe that calls for it. I love the consistency of this brand’s coconut milk. Some coconut milk is more grainy, whereas Thai Kitchen’s isn’t at all. I use their lite version in this pina colada smoothie and although any coconut milk will work, this stuff is gold.
- As mentioned above, I highly suggest adding some type of protein to this coconut milk pina colada. Whether it be a few spoonfuls of full hemp seeds or another type of protein powder. It will just give this smoothie that extra little nutritious boost.
- Use frozen pineapple and frozen banana in this vegan smoothie. If you don’t have any on hand, you can use fresh, but add a handful of ice. It still will not be the same thick, creamy and cold smoothie I created this recipe to be, but the flavours will be the same!
- Use a high-speed blender. It doesn’t have to be a Vitamix, but you will want a blender that can blend this pina colada smoothie into the thick, smooth and creamy concoction it was meant to be.
Try These Other Vegan Smoothies
Let each sip of this pina colada smoothie transport you to laying on the warm sand, with the waves peacefully crashing in the background and not a cloud in the sky. Obviously being on said beach would be better than making a smoothie, but it’s a pretty close second. This vegan smoothie is creamy, tangy, tropical and very easy to jazz up with some added greens and protein powder. It’s definitely a smoothie you want to keep in mind as we get closer to spring and summer weather!
Pina Colada Smoothie
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 cup frozen pineapple
- 1 can light coconut milk (400mL)
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1 scoop hemp hearts/ or protein powder (optional)
- handful of greens (optional- as it will change the colour of the smoothie)
- Combine all ingredients into a high-speed blender and then blend until smooth!
- This smoothie is perfect to share between two but it is also good for one if you are extra thirsty!
Wow! Dish me up this yummy smoothie!