Potatoes are Adam’s favourite vegetable- and I give him a hard time for it. The reason being is thatmy picky husband thinks if he has fries one day, he’s then had his vegetable intake for the day. Now don’t get me wrong, fries are my weakness and guilty pleasure, but I know they aren’t the healthiest and I know that they don’t take me anywhere near my vegetable quota for the day. Adam knows this too, he’s a smart man. But he likes to see me get all fired up trying to make a point that he needs to eat more veggies. It’s a constant debate in our house, which is why I thought I would combine Adam’s favourite vegetable (the potato), with some other yummy ingredients to produce a healthier option to the good old french fry. Hence, these Vegan Potato Cakes were born.
here are a few reasons why I love these Vegan Potato Cakes, so listen up!
- Who knew a potato patties recipe could be so easy to make? The ingredients used are basic and simple to find. You probably have them all in your pantry already. This recipe is super straightforward. The hidden broccoli is an added bonus and the perfect way to get some extra vitamins in.
- Let’s talk about the spicy mustard sauce. It adds a little heat to the vegan potato cakes and keeps your mouth watering for more. You can use honey to sweeten the sauce (if you aren’t vegan) or maple syrup if you are vegan. Although they both add different flavours to the sauce, you can’t go wrong with either choice.
- This potato patties recipe makes for the perfect addition at breakfast or dinner, or a delicious afternoon pick-me-up. They are vegan, loaded with fresh thyme, crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. These shredded vegan potato cakes are a winner in the Picky Husband’s eyes, even though he knows there is broccoli in them!
So let the veggie debate seize while Adam and I munch on these shredded vegan potato cakes. And perhaps they will win over the taste buds of the picky eater in your household too ♥
vegan potato cakes
- 2 cups shredded potatoes (roughly 2 medium potatoes)
- 1/2 cup shredded broccoli (about half a head of broccoli)
- 1 flax egg
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp avocado oil (to brush on patties before going in the oven)
- sea salt (added after the baking process)
spicy mustard sauce
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp franks hot sauce
- 1 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- For the patties, preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Begin by preparing your flax egg. Add 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed with 3 tablespoons of water- let sit for 5-10 minutes until a yolky consistency has formed.
- Use a cheese grater or the grater attachment on a food processor. Grate the potatoes, measure out 2 cups. Next, grate the broccoli, and measure 1/2 cup.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl- mix thoroughly. The batter will be quite wet and sticky- this is normal.
- Measure out a 1/4 cup of batter, empty it into your hands and then onto parchment paper- should form 7 patties. Flatten and re-form the patties, as desired.
- Option to brush the patties with a bit of oil before putting in the oven. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Then flip the patties and bake for another 15 minutes.
- For the sauce: combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix!