This is a vegan side dish that I keep coming back to. I’m saying you should get excited about eating carrots. Yes, carrots. These Roasted Rosemary Carrots are festive, flavourful, and add gorgeous colour to your dinner menu. They are tossed in rosemary, orange and maple syrup and then roasted to perfection. These roasted fall vegetables are going to be the star of the show.
how to roast carrots
These maple orange carrots are very straightforward to roast. Like most roasted fall vegetables it is important to coat the vegetables in just enough oil. Not too much and not too little. In this recipe, I found 1 tbsp of oil worked best. Space is key when roasting. The carrots need to be placed on a lined baking sheet with space between each carrot. If they are piled onto one another, they won’t roast as nicely. When the carrots get tossed halfway through the baking process, it is ideal to flip each one individually and allow for enough space again. A silicone sheet or parchment paper will work best to line the baking sheet. I mean this isn’t rocket science, and you don’t have to follow these instructions to a tee but for the best results (and I want you guys to have the best), this is the way.
will picky eaters like this vegan side dish?
I’ll admit, veggies as a side dish can sometimes be a tricky one for friends and family who’s eyes don’t usually light up at the sight of vegetables. But that is why I love hearing Adam’s truthful opinion about a dish. He is honest and speaks his truth. Just because he doesn’t like a dish, doesn’t necessarily mean I won’t post it here but I will definitely get other opinions as well! But for these yummy roasted rosemary carrots, the Picky Husband really enjoyed them! I mean, I don’t think he’ll be asking just for carrots in his lunch anytime soon (wishful thinking on my part) but he was licking his chops as he ate them! Basically these carrots kill it as a side dish and are picky eater approved. Make this dish for a holiday dinner or just on a weeknight and they will be a hit.
here are a few reasons why I love roasted rosemary carrots, so listen up!
- These maple orange carrots are the perfect side dish because they pair easily with most recipes. This is a simple dish that is beautifully touched with hints of rosemary and orange.
- This is a vegan side dish that only takes 40 minutes to make, from start to finish. Less than an hour to make- that’s a total win in my books. For 32 minutes of that 40, they are just roasting in the oven. So you don’t even have to lift another finger until they come out of the oven. It’s so great to have a delicious holiday dish that doesn’t actually take hours to prepare.
- These roasted rosemary carrots are a crowd-pleaser. My picky husband approves of this recipe and my Grandparents approve. When my mom goes out and visits her parents, she has been known to make these carrots a time or two. They are always a great addition to whatever else she is making because they are a dish that complements most foods. My mom keeps coming back to this recipe because my grandparents love it, but also because it’s so easy to make.
These roasted rosemary carrots have a beautiful crispness and a touch of sweetness. The maple syrup and the orange zest complement the rosemary to a tee. Simple, yet tasteful to the max- these carrots are real winners and are the perfect vegan side dish for your holiday dinner.
roasted rosemary carrots
- 2 bunches carrots (~ 1.5lbs, cut in quarters, lengthwise)
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 tbsp minced fresh rosemary
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp orange zest
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Wash and chop the carrots (option to peel the skins but I left mine on). Combine the rosemary, oil, orange zest and maple syrup and then toss the carrots in it.
- Place the carrots on a lined baking sheet, laying down flat with space between the carrots.
- Roast for 32 minutes, tossing halfway through. Enjoy as a delightful side dish!