I have a love/ hate relationship with turmeric. I’m OBSESSED with consuming it, yet not pleased at how many unremovable turmeric stains I have on my clothes… But in all honesty, I’m willing to overlook the stains in order to reap the AMAZING benefits of turmeric. Which is obviously why I just had to create an easy on the go snack with this superfood! Therefore, these turmeric balls were born.
Let’s talk turmeric.
I would say my obsession with turmeric is totally necessary. Turmeric reduces inflammation and pain. It has anti-cancer properties, may help to prevent rheumatoid arthritis, and alleviates symptoms associated with inflammatory bowel disease. So all that is pretty dang cool! Gold medal for turmeric!
I even secretly got Ad on board with turmeric. I mean secretly because he actually didn’t really know about it. For a while, I would make little mini pizzas for Adam’s lunch. My secret ingredient in them… turmeric. I would sprinkle turmeric in the tomato sauce thinking I was being sneaky by adding extra goodness to his lunch. But he caught on pretty quick and wasn’t too impressed. Geez, I was just trying to nourish his body with this magical spice! Little does he know, I’ve gotten even sneakier and I still do it…
So we’ve covered turmeric, now onto the coconut butter in this recipe. It will knock the socks right off of ya. Coconut itself is high in fibre and is full of energy-boosting fats! Plus it just tastes so good, and it’s pretty fun to make your own. It’s so creamy and life-changing.
Basically, you just need to get on the turmeric train. I’ve even made it easy for you by handing you this recipe. ♥
- 170 g DATES (~1cup)
- 1 cup CASHEWS
- 1 teaspoon CINNAMON
- 1 teaspoon TURMERIC
- 1 teaspoon VANILLA
- 1/4 teaspoon SEA SALT
- 2 tablespoons ALMOND BUTTER
- 1/3 cup COCONUT BUTTER (see how to make your own in the directions below)
- make the coconut butter. measure out 1 cup of unsweetened, shredded coconut and blend in a food processor or blender until smooth (~ 7 minutes). You might have to scrape down the sides with a spatula occasionally to get all the coconut incorporated. 1 cup of shredded coconut blended/processed for 7 minutes will make 1/3 cup of coconut butter (just what you need for this recipe!!)
- in a food processor, combine the dates and cashews together first. Next, add the rest of the ingredients (including the coconut butter) and pulse until well combined. Then form balls, place in fridge or freezer for 30 minutes.
- Keep balls stored in the fridge or freezer.
Facts about turmeric and coconut are from Peggy Kotsopoulos’s book Kitchen Cures.