I have a love/ hate relationship with turmeric. I’m obsessed with consuming it, yet not pleased at how many unremovable turmeric stains I have on my clothes. But in all honesty, I’m willing to overlook the stains in order to reap the AMAZING benefits of turmeric. This is obviously why I just had to create an easy on the go snack with this superfood! After a little fine-tuning, these turmeric date bliss balls were born.
how to make raw coconut butter
One of the main ingredients in these date bliss balls is coconut butter. You can either use a store-bought brand or make your own! Let me tell you if you have never made your own raw coconut butter before it is super easy! You only need one ingredient! And that, of course, is shredded unsweetened coconut. You do need a high-speed blender or food processor to make your own. In order to make raw coconut butter, you blend the coconut for roughly ten minutes (depending on your equipment), stopping and scraping down the sides of the blender many times throughout. Once a smooth and creamy consistency has formed, you’ve done it! It will knock the socks right off of you. Coconut itself is high in fibre and is full of energy-boosting fats! It’s so creamy and life-changing, and you can make this dreamy coconut butter in your own kitchen.
Let’s talk turmeric.
I would say my obsession with turmeric is totally necessary. Turmeric reduces inflammation and pain. It has anti-cancer properties, may help to prevent rheumatoid arthritis, and alleviates symptoms associated with inflammatory bowel disease. So all that is pretty amazing! Gold medal for turmeric! If you are looking to find out more about turmeric of just some fun facts about nutrition, this is a book that I always have handy and where these facts came from.
I even secretly got Ad on board with turmeric. Secretly because he didn’t know about it. Let me elaborate. For a while, I would make little mini pizzas for Adam’s lunch. My secret ingredient in them was none other than turmeric. I would sprinkle turmeric in the tomato sauce thinking I was being sneaky by adding extra goodness to his lunch. But he caught on pretty quick and wasn’t too impressed. Little does he know, I’ve gotten even sneakier and I still do it.
Here are a few reasons why I love these turmeric date bliss balls, so listen up!
- These turmeric balls are loaded with such goodness for your body. I mentioned my love for turmeric and it’s healing powers. So it just made sense to create a go-to snack to enjoy, knowing there is good stuff going into your body. Dates are the only sweetener in these cashew energy balls making them naturally sweetened and refined sugar-free. See, so much goodness in these date bliss balls.
- I’m a big fan of quick and easy snacks. These date bliss balls are made in 10-15 minutes with some freezer time to follow. But the only amount of time you are needed in the kitchen is for 15 minutes. And the end result is snacks for the whole week. These turmeric balls are quick and easy to roll out. But be warned your hands will be orange afterwards. No one is perfect, and neither is turmeric. Turmeric’s downfall is that is stains EVERYTHING. To get the orange colouring off your skin simply wash your hands with soap and water. But be careful with what you are wearing as I haven’t figured out a way to get turmeric stains out of clothing!
- These cashew energy balls require minimal ingredients. Less than ten ingredients are required (and most of them are spices). This recipe is also a one-bowl kind of dish. Start by making your raw coconut butter in the food processor and once it is done, you can add the dates and cashews in first and get blending (adding the additional ingredients in after.) Although your dishes might look a little orange after blending, at least you won’t be dyeing all your dishes orange just yet.
These turmeric date bliss balls are naturally sweetened, loaded with protein and fibre. These bite-sized snacks are perfect for a little afternoon pick me up or a pre-workout snack. They are simple to make, only taking 10 minutes to create after the coconut butter is made. Basically, if you aren’t already on the turmeric train, you just need to get on it. I’ve even made it easy for you by handing you a recipe for these turmeric cashew energy balls. ♥
turmeric date balls
- 1/3 cup coconut butter (see how to make your own in the directions below)
- 1 cup medjool dates (pits removed)
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 2 tbsp nut butter ( suggest almond butter)
- 1 tsp cinnmaon
- 1/2- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp vanilla
- pinch of black pepper
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- To make the coconut butter: measure out 1 cup of unsweetened, shredded coconut and blend in a food processor or blender until smooth (~ 7 minutes). You will have to scrape down the sides with a spatula occasionally to get all the coconut incorporated. 1 cup of shredded coconut blended/processed for 7 minutes will make 1/3 cup of coconut butter (just what you need for this recipe).
- In the same food processor you made the coconut butter in, combine the dates and cashews. Blend until a chunky texture forms. Next, add the rest of the ingredients and pulse until well combined. Start with 1/2 tsp of turmeric, and then taste the mixture and decide if you want to add more (up to 1 tsp total).
- Begin to shape the batter into balls. The size is completely up to you. My batter created 14 balls (roughly 1 1/2 Tbsps in size). Place in the freezer for 30 minutes. Keep balls stored in a container in the fridge or freezer.
- Keep balls stored in a container in the fridge or freezer.