Herby potatoes are coming for ya today! Cast iron skillet potatoes have been a staple in my home for a long time. Usually, Adam makes them and I just nibble away at his, regretting his offer to make me some too. These Vegan Breakfast Potatoes have a crisp outside and soft inside. They are seasoned with fresh herbs and tossed in salt and pepper to finish. Call me crazy, but don’t forget the ketchup!
I cannot believe we are already diving into September. Where have the days gone? Summer is always a busy time. Routines go out the window and the focus is fun. Being outside is key and who cares if that load of laundry doesn’t get done. September for me always brings a fresh start. Maybe I still have that student mentality drilled into my head but September starts a new year, not January! But with a new beginning comes a little more hustle and bustle. My goal for September and the upcoming fall is to slow down. Especially on my weekends. Slow mornings to balance out the craziness of the week behind me and ahead of me. A good way fo me to slow down is to enjoy and take a longer breakfast. Hence these rosemary and thyme potatoes. A little more love goes into my food. And perhaps a lovely book and a warm cup of coffee to go with it.
how to make these cast iron skillet potatoes
The first step in making these rosemary and thyme potatoes is boiling them. You cut the mini potatoes in half and then add them to a pot of boiling water. They boil until they are soft. Then the water is drained and the skillet is heated up. Side note, I’ve only tested these in a cast iron pan. You next add a little oil to heat up in the pan. Then you add the boiled potatoes. Toss and stir for 15 minutes or so until they start looking a little crispy. Then add the garlic, thyme, and rosemary. The smell of these vegan breakfast potatoes is next level once you add those herbs. Keep tossing them in the pan until they crisp to your liking!
Here are a few reasons why I love these vegan breakfast potatoes, so listen up!
- I think potatoes are my kryptonite. I really can’t resist them. Fries, mashed potatoes, roasted or on the skillet- keep them coming. They are comfort food, right? In any form, they bring a sense of comfort. These rosemary and thyme potatoes are no different. Starting the day with a sense of pampering, and I’m all in.
- Our favourite herbs to use in the house are for sure thyme and rosemary so it just seemed fitting that these herbs would be in this recipe. They release such a delicious fragrance while the potatoes are cooking. There are only 6 ingredients in this recipe but make sure not to leave any out because they all complement one another to a tee.
- The Picky Husband LOVES potatoes, almost as much as me. He’s the one that got me started on breakfast potatoes. His potatoes used to be loaded in cheese, eggs, and butter (and let’s be honest, still sometimes are). But these vegan breakfast potatoes he loves just a much and we can enjoy them together. They are also a wee bit healthier!
Needing more plant based breakfast ideas?
- Single Serve Gluten Free Blueberry Muffin
- Savoury Vegan Breakfast Tacos
- Easy Blueberry Banana Pancakes
These herby potatoes need to have a spot on your breakfast menu. They are the perfect reason to have a slow morning. These cast iron skillet potatoes are crispy, loaded with thyme and rosemary, and for all my ketchup lovers out there, they are damn good with a spot of ketchup.