I could eat this vegan salad every day for the rest of my life. This caesar salad is life-changing and so satisfying. There are so many yummy ingredients in one bowl that the flavours will blow you away.
When I was visiting Vancouver over the July long weekend, some girlfriends and I sat down at Kokomo- a fresh, and fun cafe, that carries amazing vegan food! I had the Hemp Caesar Salad and was instantly hooked. Now, my salad is nowhere close in comparison to the magic they created in their kitchen, but it is my consolation prize as I live in Kelowna and can’t eat at Hey Kokomo every day of my life… although that is the dream.
The crunch and juiciness that the romaine provides in this vegan caesar salad is spot on. Don’t get me wrong, I love kale, spinach, arugula, all the garden greens, but sometimes there is nothing like the original girl AKA –> ROMAINE.
The Picky Husband even enjoys it with me from time to time. Although I will admit salads of any kind aren’t usually his go-to. But he loves the dressing of this caesar salad. He does a good job of embracing his inner rabbit and digging into this bowl of goodness.
here are a few reasons why I love this vegan salad, so listen up!
- It is crisp, fresh and crunchy in texture and the dressing is creamy, savoury and loaded with the good stuff. The good stuff being my one true love-nutritional yeast.
- This vegan salad is ready to eat in 30 minutes! That includes toasting coconut flakes and pumpkin seeds, as well as making your own homemade dressing! I would say you can probably even make it quicker than that if you are a pro-chopper.
- With the hemp seeds, nutritional yeast, pumpkin seeds and coconut flakes, this salad fills you up with no problem. So if you are looking for some added protein I give you the option of adding in roasted chickpeas (although that will bring the prep time up a little bit).
If you haven’t already figured it out, I’m very much in love with this vegan salad- we hit the jackpot here. I hope you become as obsessed with it as I have- I’m actually munching on it as I type this. It has become one of my go-to salads and is always a crowd-pleaser.
vegan caesar salad
- 2 tbsp avocado oil or olive oil
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp brown rice miso paste
- 6 tbsp water
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp hemp seeds
- 1 clove garlic
- pepper to taste
- add 3-4 basil leaves (optional)
- 1 head romaine
- 1 cup cucumber (chopped)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened coconut flakes (toasted)
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 sprig green onion
- 1 avocado
- 1-2 tbsp hemp seeds (to top salad with)
- 1-2 tbsp nutritional yeast (to top salad with)
- Combine all dressing ingredients in a high-speed blender, blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Place a pan over medium heat, toast the pumpkin seeds for about 6 minutes, checking them regularly so as not to burn. Once they start to brown a little they are good to go and set aside in a separate bowl.
- Using the same pan, toast the coconut flakes in the pan. Keep a close eye on the coconut for 5 minutes. Then remove from the pan.
- Chop the romaine, cucumber, green onion and avocado (if using). Add the veggies, hemp seeds, coconut, pumpkins seeds, (and chickpeas, if using) to a big salad bowl. Toss with the dressing. Top with nutritional yeast and pepper. ENJOY!
Leave a Reply