I could eat this Vegan Caesar Salad every day for the rest of my life. I think it’s life-changing and so satisfying. There are so many yummy ingredients in one bowl that the flavours will blow you away.
When I was visiting Vancouver over the July long weekend, some girlfriends and I sat down at Kokomo- a fresh, and fun cafe, that is vegan to boot! I had the Hemp Caesar Salad and was instantly hooked. Now, my salad is nowhere close in comparison to the magic they created in their kitchen, but it is my consolation prize as I live in Kelowna and can’t eat at Hey Kokomo every day of my life… although that is the dream.
The crunch and juiciness that the romaine provides in this Caesar Salad is spot on. Don’t get me wrong, I love kale, spinach, arugula, all the garden greens, but sometimes there is nothing like the original girl AKA –> ROMAINE.
If you haven’t already figured it out, I’m very much in love with this salad- we hit the jackpot here. I hope you become as obsessed with this vegan Caesar Salad as I have- I’m actually munching on it as I type this… #obsessed.
Vegan Caesar Salad
serves 4 | time to make: 30 minutes
- 1 head of ROMAINE (washed and chopped)
- 1 cup of chopped CUCUMBER
- 1/3 cup TOASTED COCONUT FLAKES
- 1-2 tablespoons HEMP SEEDS (to top the salad with)
- 1-2 tablespoons NUTRITIONAL YEAST
- 1/4 cup TOASTED PUMPKIN SEEDS
- 1 sprig of GREEN ONION
- optional 1 AVOCADO
- optional to add chickpeas to this salad
- 3 tablespoons NUTRITIONAL YEAST
- 2 tablespoons AVOCADO OIL
- 2 tablespoons TAHINI
- 1 tablespoon APPLE CIDER VINEGAR
- 1 tablespoon LEMON JUICE
- 1 tablespoon HEMP SEEDS
- 1 teaspoon MISO PASTE
- 1 clove GARLIC
- 6 tablespoons WATER
- PEPPER TO TASTE
- optional: to add 3-4 basil leaves to the dressing!
- Combine all dressing ingredients in a high-speed blender, blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Place a pan over medium heat, toast the pumpkin seeds for about 6 minutes, checking them regularly so not to burn. Once they start to brown a little they are good to go and set aside in a separate bowl.
- Using the same pan, toast the coconut flakes in the pan. Keep a close eye on the coconut for 5 minutes. Then remove from the pan.
- Chop the romaine, cucumber, green onion and avocado (if using). Add the veggies, hemp seeds, coconut, pumpkins seeds, (and chickpeas, if using) to a big salad bowl. Toss with the dressing. Top with nutritional yeast and pepper. ENJOY!