Feliz Navidad! Well, that’s what I’ll be singing this Christmas as I join some of my family down in Mexico. Yup, that’s right, I’m packing my bathing suit and sandals and leaving behind the big old winter boots! But not before I eat WAY too many of these creamy, homemade peppermint patties. These mint patties sure get me in the Christmas spirit. Is mid-November too soon to be singing Christmas carols and eating all things peppermint?? Not in my opinion!
Why You’ll Love These Vegan Mint Patties
- These homemade peppermint patties are easy to make. It takes 7 ingredients and only 20 minutes to prepare. The 30 minutes required for the freezer should be treated as your relaxing time. I’d say that’s not too shabby for a vegan Christmas dessert!
- These are the perfect bite-size vegan Christmas dessert to have after dinner. They are small but sweet enough that you feel content and happy after just one. So you don’t need to gorge all 32 mint patties in one sitting. I mean you totally can. No judgement from me, that’s always an option too.
- This vegan Christmas dessert truly gets you in the mood for some spiked hot chocolate and a few smooches under the mistletoe. These vegan peppermint patties are creamy and perfectly sweet. They are packed with the delicious flavours of coconut and touched with the right amount of peppermint. If you need to feel a little extra jolly, these mint patties will get you there!
- The recipe for these vegan peppermint patties is actaully very straightforward. I’m not saying it’s easy because if you’ve never made coconut butter before, you might disagree with me. And coconut butter isn’t hard to make it’s just a little time consuming (but totally worth it). But straightforward? Yes. These homemade peppermint patties use minimal ingredients and the process is simple to follow.
I won’t be able to bring these homemade peppermint patties on the plane with me, as they will melt. But that doesn’t mean I won’t enjoy one or two (or twenty) before heading down south. This is my take on a classic treat, with a vegan twist. These are definitely Picky Husband Approved. Although to be honest, he still would take milk chocolate over dark chocolate any day. So for those picky family members, you can make these vegan peppermint patties with milk chocolate and they still turn out great. But the dark chocolate is where it’s at in my books!
How To Make Homemade Peppermint Patties
You only need 7 ingredients to make these homemade peppermint patties. Start by preparing the coconut butter. It is a labour of love, but totally worth it. There is a lot of scraping and pausing then restarting involved, but the end result is creamy velvet-like coconut goodness. Coconut butter (if you don’t know) is blended dried coconut. Once the coconut butter is made the rest is a piece of cake. Add the coconut cream, maple syrup and peppermint extract to the coconut butter and blend until smooth. The batter will be thick but I highly suggest placing it in the fridge or freezer for 10-20 minutes to harden further so that the patty filling is easier to handle.
Once you’ve shaped the mint patties filling, melt the chocolate. Some of my favourite vegan chocolate to use are Zazu Bean and Enjoy Life. Dip the coconut patties in the chocolate. Then place the mint patties back in the freezer. The biggest takeaway on how to make homemade peppermint patties is that when everything is all said and done there is a jar of vegan peppermint patties sitting in your freezer for when the craving strikes!
For More Vegan Christmas Desserts, Try These
It’s time to get the jolly spirits out there, by making these mint patties for our loved ones. These homemade peppermint patties will add some sweetness to your life, in a season of busyness, and an extra pep in your step when you are bustling to the mall on Christmas Eve getting those last-minute things. This is a recipe that uses minimal ingredients, is a healthier dessert, and is overall straightforward to make. So let’s start the holiday season off right with a batch of these vegan peppermint patties. ♥
vegan peppermint patties
- 1/2 cup coconut butter (or 2 cups of unsweetened shredded coconut if making from scratch)
- 1/2 cup coconut cream (from a can of full-fat coconut milk)
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 3-4 tbsp coconut oil
- 1-2 tbsps maple syrup
- sea salt to sprinkle on top
- If making coconut butter by scratch, measure out 2 cups of shredded coconut. Add it to a food processor and blend for roughly 6-8 minutes (will depend on the food processor). You will have to scrape down the edges throughout, but the end goal is to have creamy and smooth coconut butter.
- Add your coconut butter, coconut cream, peppermint extract, and maple syrup to the food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Let the batter sit on the counter for 20 minutes, or put in the fridge for 10 minutes to harden a little bit. This step isn’t’ necessary but the coconut mixture will be way easier to deal with (less sticky) if it hardens a little bit. Scoop out 1 teaspoon of coconut mixture and place it on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Measure out all the coconut mixture with a teaspoon. Once done, take a metal spoon, wet it with water, and flatten down and reshape each pattie to your desired liking. Pop the baking sheet in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- While the baking sheet is in the freezer, start making the chocolate mixture. Heat a small pan over low heat and add in the coconut oil. Once melted, add in the chocolate chips, and the maple syrup. Continue to stir regularly so the chocolate does not burn. The mixture should be silky smooth, and a little bit runny. If this is not the case, add in another teaspoon of coconut oil to help it soften/be more on the runny side. NOTE: if using milk chocolate, I would leave out the maple syrup as milk chocolate is already quite sweet).
- Take the coconut patties out of the freezer, dip one coconut patty in the chocolate mixture at a time. Use a fork to toss the coconut patty around and make sure it is fully covered by chocolate. Take it out of the saucepan using the fork and tap any excess chocolate on the side of the pan.
- Place back on the parchment paper, and continue to dip the patties into the chocolate. About halfway through the coating process, toss a bit of sea salt on top of the chocolate covered patties. Then continue to coat the rest of the coconut patties and sprinkle those ones with sea salt. Place in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Store the peppermint patties in a sealed container in the freezer.
Oh. These are so delicious. Would love one RIGHT now!! I guess Pip loves them too!!!
Ive never used coconut cream, so, i just purchase a can of coconut milk, full fat, and the cream is on top?
Yes so buy a can of full fat coconut milk. Place it in the fridge for 48 hours (this is best). placing the coconut milk in the fridge separates the liquid in the can from the coconut cream. So after 48 hours, your coconut cream will be on the top and the liquid on the bottom. So when you open the can up, the coconut cream will be on the top just waiting to be spooned out! And I save the coconut water for a smoothie! hope that clears it up!:)