I’m a huge pesto fan. I’m also a huge pasta fan. So it just made perfect sense to create a vegan pesto lasagna. As the bears start scarfing down and increasing their food intake to prepare for the winter, us humans kinda do the same thing and crave the more carb-y, cozy foods- the downside to this is that we don’t get to sleep straight for 4 months- upside, you can eat these pesto lasagna rolls all winter long while the bears dream.
The leaves are changing colour over here- it’s gorgeous and lots of Fall walks have been happening. But the snow is coming- Adam and I drove right through a snowstorm just last week in the mountains. I was not impressed to see the white stuff- c’mon it’s only October. I do always get excited for the first snowfall of the year but I like to drag out Fall as long as possible. Icy roads and frost bite just aren’t my thing. But this dish… PERFECT for those nights you want to stay in and avoid the nasty weather. I mean you don’t have to be experiencing a snow storm or a change in leaf colour to enjoy this vegan pesto lasagna- which is also gluten free FYI. It’s Picky Husband Approved (BIG FAN), creamy, comforting, saucy, and bursting with flavour.
If you think pesto is one of the greats, than you’ll love this meal. It’s also kinda fun to fill and roll the lasagna noodles. And although we don’t get to go on a sleeping vacay like the bears I know these lasagna rolls will fill your belly with happiness- and that’s better than sleep right?♥
Vegan Pesto Lasagna Rolls
time to make: 45 min-1 hour
- 1 cup BASIL
- 1/4 cup PINE NUTS
- 1 cup SPINACH
- 2 GARLIC cloves
- 1 small red ONION
- 2 tablespoons AVOCADO OIL
- 3 tablespoon NUTRITIONAL YEAST
- 2 teaspoons LEMON JUICE
- 1 package of SOFT TOFU (300g)
- 10-12 gluten free brown rice lasagna noodles (I used the Rizonia brand)
- 2 1/2 cups MARINARA
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Finely chop the onion and garlic, and sauté in a teaspoon of oil over medium heat. Remove from stove top when they are golden.
- Boil a large pot of water. Once it is boiling, add in 10-12 lasagna noodles. Cook for 6 minutes over medium heat. You want the noodles to be a little under done.
- In the meantime, use a food processor or blender and add the rinsed tofu to it. Blend until somewhat smooth. Then add the pine nuts, basil, spinach, lemon juice, oil, sautéd garlic and onion, and nutritional yeast. Process until smooth.
- Drain the pot of water, and lay out the noodle on a cutting board or a cloth.
- Add 2 cups of marinara to the bottom of a 9 x 13 inch pan.
- Lay the noodles out flat and spread ~2 tablespoons of the pesto sauce evenly on each noodle and then roll them up (not too tightly or the pesto will just squeeze out). Continue to do this for all 10-12 noodles.
- Lay the rolled up noodles in the bed of marinara sauce. Drizzle left over pesto sauce over the top of the noodles. Pour 1/2 cup of marinara evenly over the noodles.
- Cover the pan with aluminum foil and cook in the oven for 25 minutes- until noodles are soft and the smell is amazing.
- Serve right out of the oven. Can store left over lasagna rolls in the fridge, but suggest reheating them up before eating.
Leave a Reply