Vegetarian pinwheels were a classic appetizer in my childhood. My mom would whip them up and they were always a huge hit at any dinner we brought them to. My mom’s recipe contained full dairy cream cheese and gluten filled tortillas. So I decided to alter the recipe by making them vegan and gluten free (with the help of a few stellar products). I’ve now adjusted a childhood classic into one of the best vegan appetizers and they have become a go-to for me. These Vegan Pinwheels are too tasty to miss out on!
the products used to make these gluten free pinwheels
This post is not sponsored, I just really enjoy these products and thought I would share a fun recipe! I found the Spread ‘Em Kitchen Co. products in my local health food store and fell instantly in love. It is the perfect vegan finger food. This dip is delicious with crackers or on pizza or in these gluten free pinwheels- you can’t go wrong. You can get this product at most health food stores. This spread is what makes these vegan pinwheels spicy, creamy and flavourful!
It’s important to note that I used the La Tortilla Factory Ivory teff wraps when making this easy vegan appetizer. These wraps were fresh and not frozen. I’ve only tested these vegan pinwheels with these wraps so you may be able to use other gluten free tortillas. But I know that the La Tortilla Factory wraps roll nicely. So I would highly suggest using the La Tortilla Teff Wraps if they are available to you in your area.
how to make vegan pinwheels
Making these vegan pinwheels is actually quite easy because I used a few store-bought products. Basically you add the spread ’em dip to a bowl and combine it with green chillies. Then using three fresh tortillas, add 1/2 cup of the filling to each tortilla. Spread the filling all over the tortillas (to the outer rims). Then tightly roll up the wraps. Place in the fridge for one hour and then remove them and cut them to the desired thickness. Boom. That was straightforward. Then watch this easy vegan appetizer disappear right before your eyes and into your belly.
here are some reasons why I love this easy vegan appetizer, so listen up!
- These tortilla roll-ups take 10 minutes to make! Talk about an easy vegan appetizer to make. These vegetarian pinwheels are absolutely delicious, no one would guess that they only take ten minutes to make. A real bonus for those busy-bees out there who are needing a few short cuts when making dinner- you’re welcome. They do require 1 hour to set in the fridge but that’s the easy part. These tortilla pinwheels can set while you madly run around cleaning up the house before the guests arrive.
- They are vegan, gluten free, and savoury. I can almost promise these will all get gobbled up with no issues. These are the perfect vegan finger food for any get-together. They are creamy, filling, Picky Husband Approved and have a little kick to them– just to keep everyone on their toes. If you like a little spice, cream cheese and tortillas I don’t know how you wouldn’t be in love with these vegan pinwheels.
- My mom (who made the original recipe) gave my pinwheel appetizer the two thumbs up. The simplicity of making these is almost unbelievable, and I truly think it is important to take a few short cuts in our busy lives. Using the Spread ’em dips and store-bought tortillas make this little appetizer so easy to throw together. Short cut or not, nothing is compromised by using these products, cause they rock. My mom and I may or may not have demolished a serving of these roll-ups in under 30 minutes. But we had zero regrets.
I hope you enjoy these vegan pinwheels just as much as my family does! This easy vegan appetizer is such a crowd pleaser and ever so yum. It’s pretty hard to just stop after one, so feel free to eat them all in one sitting (like my family did)- no judgement from me! Or perhaps make two batches at once, so no one fights over the last one.♥
- 1 container (183g) spread ’em jalepeno and lemon
- 3 tbsp green chilies
- 3 La Tortilla Factory Teff Tortillas
- salsa (for dipping)
- Add the container of Spread ’em: Jalapeno and Lemon to a bowl. Add the 3 tablespoons of green chillies. Mix until completely combined.
- Layout 3 tortillas (should not be frozen). Add just under 1/2 cup of the mixture to each tortilla and spread evenly on the tortilla.
- Roll the tortillas tightly. Place in a closed container in the fridge for 1 hour. After the 1 hour mark, remove the wraps from the fridge. Using a cerated knife, cut the tortillas into 8-10 pieces.
- Enjoy right away, or soon after. They are quite yummy dipped into salsa as well.
- Store the Vegan Pinwheels in the refrigerator if not eating right away. Suggest eating within 24 hours- as the wraps begin to go soggy after that time frame.