Get ready to meet your new favourite vegan sandwich. I’m not joking, this is my new go-to meal. These Vegan Pulled Pork Sandwiches are drool-worthy. They are filling, with a smokey flavour and a hint of sweetness. These bbq jackfruit sandwiches are accompanied by a yummy carrot + apple slaw. It’s crisp, sweet, and loaded with the good stuff. I don’t like to pick favourites, but this might be my new favourite recipe. But shhh, don’t tell.
These vegan jackfruit sandwiches remind me of a cross between a sloppy joe and a pulled pork sandwich. They are a little messy (hello bbq sauce) and they have the same texture as pulled pork. They are TO DIE FOR. These bbq sandwiches are Picky Husband Approved, he loved them just as much as I do! This jackfruit recipe is one for the books.
what’s in this vegan pulled pork recipe?
This recipe is full of simple ingredients. BBQ sauce, spices, vegetable broth, onions, garlic, coconut sugar and of course jackfruit. The only ingredient that might give you a trickier time to find is the jackfruit. Although most stores carry canned jackfruit nowadays, I know it’s hard to find jackfruit not in a marinade at some stores. I found this jackfruit at my local health food store, and it works like a charm for this recipe.
let’s talk about that Carrot Apple Slaw
These vegan pulled pork sandwiches are loaded with bbq sauce and seasonings that bring out an even smokier flavour. Pulling apart the jackfruit so that it resembles pulled pork is actually quite fun, and the aroma that takes over your kitchen is pretty mouth-watering. If you can’t tell that I’m a huge fan of this dinner, then I don’t know what else to say.
Just kidding. I could go on and on about these vegan pulled pork sandwiches forever. Although to be honest, the jackfruit is nothing without the Carrot Apple Slaw. While assembling the sandwiches, I placed the slaw on the bottom of a Spelt bun (you can totally use gluten free buns here) and then loaded the pulled jackfruit on top. The Carrot Apple Slaw adds some crispness, freshness and a little bit of sweetness to the smokey and savoury jackfruit. Together, they are the perfect team.
Here are a few reasons why I love this canned jackfruit recipe, so listen up!
- You know I love a quick and delicious dinner. This combo takes less than an hour to throw together. Anything less than an hour and I’m all in, every night. This canned jackfruit recipe has been taste-tested by my mom, dad and Adam. When my mom was visiting she said that these sandwiches were one of her favourite recipes of mine to date.
- The bbq sauce is such a great and easy marinade. For one, you can buy some pretty healthy ones at the Health Food Store. Also, it borders on the savoury/sweet line, which kind of just makes it the best of both worlds. This jackfruit is smothered in bbq sauce and vegetable broth creating the most delectable sauce.
- The Carrot Apple Slaw is amazing in these vegan jackfruit sandwiches, but it is also amazing on its own. It makes for a crunchy, sweet and nutrient-loaded salad, that would be super yummy to take for lunch the next day (if you can hold off on eating it all!)
I don’t know if I’ve convinced you yet that you need these vegan pulled pork sandwiches in your life, but you truly do. Dream about the soft, smokey, slightly sweet pulled jackfruit, topped with a tangy and crisp carrot apple slaw and then loaded into a toasted bun. How are you not running to the store to buy the ingredients? Get your coat on! Grab your keys! Get moving! But seriously, get going.
vegan jackfruit sandwiches
- 3 tsp avocado oil to saute in
- 1 white onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 400ml can of jackfruit (either in water or brine- I used Cha’s Organics)
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 cup BBQ sauce
- 1/3 cup vegetable broth
Carrot Apple Slaw
- 3/4 cup carrots julienned
- 1/4 cup cucumber julienned
- 3/4 cup apple julienned
- 1/2 of a lemon juiced
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 spelt/GF buns (toasted)
- Finely chop the onion and garlic. Add 1-2 tsp of oil in a pan over medium heat. Saute the onion and garlic until browned. Then set aside.
- Open the can of jackfruit, add the jackfruit to a colander to drain/rinse the brine or water from the jackfruit. Cut the hard part (or the core) of the jackfruit pieces away. It should be pretty obvious what part is the core as it is super hard. Once the core is removed, add the jackfruit to a bowl and sprinkle the sugar, paprika and garlic powder over the jackfruit and toss until it is evenly coated.
- Heat a saucepan over medium heat, add 1 tsp of oil of choice. Once hot, add the jackfruit and let it cook for 2 minutes. Then add the bbq sauce and the vegetable stock. Toss to coat the jackfruit. Bring the temperature to a simmer, cover the pan and let the jackfruit cook for 20-30 minutes, tossing it occasionally. At about the 20-minute mark, take 2 forks and start to pull the jackfruit apart, to look shredded. Then cover and let simmer for 10 more minutes.
- While the jackfruit is simmering, prepare your slaw. Cut the carrots, cucumber and apple accordingly (as thin as you can). Place in a bowl. Juice 1/2 of a lemon over the veggies and apple. Add 1 tsp of maple syrup and salt and pepper. Toss to coat evenly, then cover and place in the fridge until you begin to assemble the sandwiches.
- Near the end of the cooking process, add the onions and garlic to the jackfruit. Mix into the jackfruit.
- The jackfruit should be soft and full of flavour at this point. Continue to use your forks to pull the jackfruit apart. Option to add a little salt and pepper, at this point.
- Begin to assemble your sandwiches. Cut the buns in half then add to a toaster. Once toasted, add the slaw on the bottom of the bun and top it with the bbq jackfruit. Best enjoyed immediately.