There is a strong chill in the air these days, and I’m feeling the need to make an unnecessary amount of soup, wear oversized sweaters, and start listening to Mariah Carey’s Christmas album. It’s never too early for Mariah right? Well, even if there is some debate on that, there should be zero debate on making this cozy vegan roasted butternut squash soup. Cozy up in your home and enjoy a warm bowl of this creamy soup.
I had a huge bag of crunchy Ambrosia apples from the farmers market and a nice looking butternut squash sitting on my counter, and I thought the pairing could be quite wonderful- and it didn’t disappoint! The apple adds a subtle sweetness, and the creamy texture of the butternut squash and the coconut milk are perfect.
This vegan butternut squash soup is a big favourite in my home- and freezes really nicely. Great News- it is Picky Husband Approved, and Adam actually takes it to work most days in his lunch! It energizes him for the remainder of his work day, and keeps him toasty warm. This squash soup is crazy EASY to make, is dairy free, and has so much savoury goodness in it- just what Fall ordered.
Hope this roasted butternut squash soup brings a little warmth to your soul as this chill settles in the air♥
Vegan Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
time to make 1 hr +10 min
- 2 medium BUTTERNUT SQUASH (2 1/2 cups)
- 2 cloves GARLIC
- 1/2 RED ONION (finely chopped)
- 3 cups VEGETABLE STOCK
- 1 APPLE (I used Ambrosia)
- 1 cup- 1 can full fat COCONUT MILK
- SALT and PEPPER to taste
- preheat the oven to 350°F
- cut the squash in half and remove all seeds. Coat the inside of the squash with oil and place face down on a lined baking sheet
- roast squash for 40 minutes, or until you can run a knife through it with ease.
- Add a tablespoon of oil to a pot and sauté the garlic and onion until golden. Add in the chopped apple.
- measure out the butternut squash (2 1/2 cups)- scooped out of the skin
- add the butternut squash, vegetable broth, salt and pepper to the pot.
- bring to a boil, and then lower to a simmer for 20 minutes
- blend ingredients altogether, until smooth.
- add coconut milk to thicken. Top with roasted pumpkin seeds, kale, or parsley and enjoy.