I know in the East right now, summer has extended it’s visit, but over here in the West…it feels like fall. Which is why this cozy Vegetarian Lentil Stew was created. I’m starting to crave warming foods in these chilly evenings- and this stew does the trick. The yummy roasted potatoes, filling red lentils, and earthy flavours have me thinking I’ll be eating a lot of this vegetarian stew this season.
There is something about the crispness in the Fall air. People start pulling out their cozy sweaters, and clutching their hot beverages just a little closer to their bodies. I’m always sad to say bye to summer, but sitting by a fire with some tea, or a bowl of vegetarian stew gives me a homey and relaxed feeling. So I say bring on the toques, sweaters, and boots- after a busy summer I’m ready for some cozy nights!
This lentil and potato stew is quick to make- about 35 minutes, start to finish. The fresh thyme and rosemary add just the most delightful flavours. I found roasting the potatoes was just the perfect touch. I love a crispy potato but if you boil the potatoes with the rest of the ingredients it doesn’t unleash the same yum flavours and you miss the texture of a roasted potato- so roasting is totally the way to go with this veggie stew.
Simple flavours. Quick to make. Picky Husband Approved. And thanks to red lentils, this dish is full of protein so it will keep you nice and full! This cozy fall stew is a must this season.♥
Vegetarian Lentil Stew
time to make: 40 minutes
- 2 cups CARROTS ( chopped finely- roughly 3 medium carrots)
- 3 cup WHITE POTATOES (roughly two inches wide, 1 inch thick pieces)
- 3 cloves GARLIC
- 1 medium RED ONION, CHOPPED FINELY
- 3/4 cup RED LENTILS
- 3 sprigs fresh ROSEMARY (removed from stems- and chopped finely)
- 3 tablespoons fresh THYME
- 2.5 cups VEGETABLE STOCK
- 3 tablespoons AVOCADO OIL
- 1 cup KALE (washed and chopped finely- to be added at the end of the cooking process)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Begin by washing and chopping the potatoes. Toss in 1 tablespoon of the avocado oil. Place on a lined baking sheet. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Then flip and bake for another 5 minutes.
- Once the potatoes are in the oven, heat 2 tablespoons of avocado oil in a large sauce pan over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and garlic. Leave to get golden for about 5 minutes.
- Rinse the red lentils.
- Add the carrots, veggie stock, red lentils, rosemary, thyme and salt and pepper to the pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and leave covered for 15 minutes. Stirring occasionally. Stew shouldn’t be too liquidy- should be more on the thick side. If it still is quite watery, just let it simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Once potatoes are done, and the stew has simmered for 15 minutes. It is ready to serve! Add the potatoes to the stew, and kale. Mix all together, then dish out! I would suggest if not eating right away to hold off on adding the kale until you reheat it, and are ready to consume!
- Keeps quite nicely in the fridge for a few days! Enjoy!