vegan basil pesto pasta
A flavourful pasta dish loaded with basil, garlic, nutritional yeast and greens. A 20 minute meal that is pure heaven.
Servings: 3 people
- 3 heads broccoli (chopped)
- 1 tsp avocado oil
- pinch of salt
dairy free pesto
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup olive/avocado oil
- 1/2 lemon (juiced) (~2 Tbsps)
- 1 tbsp brown rice miso paste
- 1 heaping cup basil
- 1 heaping cup spinach
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- pinch sea salt
- 3-4 tbsp pasta water (added at end, to thin sauce)
- 340 g fettuccine pasta of choice (I used GF Barilla brand)
- 1 cup cremini mushrooms (finely chopped into one cup)
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
While the broccoli is roasting, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Once boiling add your desired amount of pasta.
Heat a small saucepan over medium heat, add 1-2 tsp of oil. Finely chop the mushrooms and sauté until browned. Set aside.
While the pasta is cooking, the broccoli roasting and the mushrooms sautéing, prepare the pesto. Add all of the pesto ingredients, except the pasta water into a food processor. Blend until smooth. Scrape down the sides as you go.
Once the pasta is done, add 3-4 tbsp of the pasta water to the pesto, to thin the sauce out. Pesto should be thin yet creamy.
Drain the water from the noodles and add the noodles back to the pot. Add in the mushrooms and broccoli to the pasta and pour in the pesto sauce. Toss to combine.