I’m in love with tacos. I could eat GOOD vegan tacos on repeat every day of the week. Honest. I personally think all tacos need an epic sauce to go with them, but I actually went back to the basics with this recipe. This non dairy sour cream is super thick and creamy and you only need 4 ingredients to make this creamy goodness! This dairy free sour cream is just what any type of taco wants. It’s not fancy, but it’s still epic and you really can’t go wrong topping any of your tacos with this dreamy sour cream substitute.
Why You’ll Love This Vegan Sour Cream
- This dairy free sour cream only uses 4 ingredients, well, 5 if you count sea salt- but just a pinch! Talk about minimal ingredients.
- Think creamy, smooth, perfectly thick and all blended and ready to eat in 45 minutes. Really this recipe shouldn’t take longer than 10 minutes to throw together, the time for this recipe is due to the soaking of the cashews, which takes about 30 minutes to soften.
- This vegan sour cream is the perfect addition to your favourite Mexican dishes. It’s flavourful but not overpowering, so it leaves the other ingredients of your dishes to be the star.
- Even if you aren’t vegan, this is the perfect dairy free substitute for sour cream if you find traditional sour cream hard to digest!
How To Make Non Dairy Sour Cream
Overall, this non dairy sour cream shouldn’t take you long to make. Start by soaking the cashews in boiling water. The cashews need to be in a bowl and completely covered by boiling water. Let them sit for at least 30 minutes. If you are soaking the cashews the night before, you don’t need to use boiling water. This boiling water method just speeds up the soaking process for cashews.
So once the cashews have been soaking for 30 minutes, drain the water from the cashew bowl and add the cashews to a blender. I highly recommend using a personal cup-sized blender (like this) or cup-sized blender for this dairy free sour cream. I do use a Vitamix as my blender but in the past, I’ve also had good success with a Ninja and I know they have a personal cup-size blender attachment as well. If you use a food processor, the sour cream just won’t be super smooth, it may have a grainier texture, which isn’t the greatest, let’s be honest.
Add the cashews to the blender, with lemon juice, ACV, salt and water. Start with 1/2 cup of water. If your blender gets stuck, add 1-2 tbsp more water. You don’t want to overdo it with the water or your vegan sour cream will be quite runny and we want a beautiful thick sauce at the end of the blending process. So start with small additions of water until the blender can work smoothly and still produce a thick non dairy sour cream.
Try These Other Vegan Spring Recipes
This Dairy Free Sour Cream is bound to be added to your vegan recipe staples. I can’t get over how easy it is to make! I typically always have these ingredients on hand, which means I can whip up an epic sauce to go with my tacos in no time! The best part of this non dairy sour cream is that it makes quite a healthy serving size, so for a household of two, we always have some leftover, which just means we might as well have tacos the next night for dinner too!
Dairy Free Sour Cream
- 3/4 cup raw cashews
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- pinch of sea salt
- Start by soaking the cashews in boiling water for at least 30 minutes. Make sure they are completely covered. This will soften the cashews before the blending process.
- Once the cashews have soaked for at least 30 minutes, drain the water. Add the cashews along with the lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, sea salt and 1/2 cup of warm water to a blender. I highly recommend using a cup or personal cup-sized blender. Blend until smooth, thick and creamy.
- Store the leftover sour cream in a sealed container in the fridge.
Leave a Reply