Smoothies are my absolute go-to in the summer months when I want something cool, refreshing but loaded with all the good stuff. This 4 Ingredient Blueberry Smoothie Bowl checks all those boxes. I kept it 4 ingredients to keep it simple but by keeping it simple, there are a lot of great add-ins you can include when you make this smoothie (or just keep it simple). This dairy free smoothie is THICK and creamy. It is the perfect consistency on its own or topped with your favourite fruit and granola. This blueberry banana smoothie is an absolute MUST for breakfast this summer.
Why You’ll Love This Blueberry Smoothie Bowl
- Keep this blueberry banana smoothie simple, or add in a scoop of peanut butter or a scoop of your favourite vegan protein to give your smoothie bowl that extra boost.
- I love topping any vegan smoothie bowl with my favourite granola (store-bought or homemade) seasonal fruit and some hemp seeds and/or chia seeds. You can’t go wrong adding a little crunch and more freshness to a smoothie bowl.
- This blueberry smoothie bowl can be made in under 15 minutes. Honestly, it can probably be made in under 5 but just in case you are pokey in the kitchen, I thought I would give you a few extra minutes. You know how I go these days, simple ingredients and/or quick recipes. This vegan smoothie bowl falls into both categories.
How to make a THICK Smoothie
Some people like their smoothies thin, almost like a juice while others like them THICK. I’m with the latter. If you are wondering how to make a thick smoothie, let me tell you. To keep any dairy free smoothie on the thick side you can’t use a ton of liquid. Keep the amount of liquid used down and it’s also important to use some ingredients that are known to be creamy or fatty. Some examples are avocado, frozen bananas, cashews, full-fat coconut milk, or plant-based yogurt. In this blueberry smoothie bowl, we use a frozen banana and plant-based yogurt. If you choose to add in some protein powder or a scoop of your favourite nut butter that will help with creaminess as well.
BUT the KEY is to not overdue it with the liquid. I highly suggest starting with just 1 cup of oat milk and then if the blending process is too hard, add in another 1/4-1/3 cup. When keeping a smoothie on the thicker side you typically have to either use a tamper or scrape down the sides until most of the ingredients have been blended. So if you have a blender with a tamper, I highly suggest you have it handy. I use a Vitamix and I used my tamper a little bit while make this blueberry smoothie bowl.
Then with a little aggressive blending, you will be left with a thick dairy free smoothie! You can choose to either turn it into a yummy vegan smoothie bowl or just pour it in a glass to sip on!
For more Dairy Free Smoothies, Check These Out:
This blueberry banana smoothie is the perfect summer breakfast. You can make it in no time at all, and you can add in any of your favourite smoothie ingredients. Keep this dairy-free smoothie thick by laying off the liquids and top it with some summer fruit and seeds. I’m a huge smoothie lover and tend to start my day with a smoothie. I love keeping my smoothie ingredients simple, so they can be made in less than ten minutes for when you are running short on time. Not a lot of prep is needed because you simply throw everything in a blender and press ON. This blueberry smoothie bowl is easy peasy to make and it’s such a good nutritious start to the day.
Blueberry Smoothie Bowl
- 2 cups frozen blueberries
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 cup oat milk (may need to add an extra 1/3 cup)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened plant-based yogurt (Maison Riveria)
- vegan protein powder (optional)
- seasonal fruit
- hemp seeds/ chia seeds
- Add all the ingredients to a high-speed blender and blend it until smooth. You may need to tamper/ scrape down the sides. If the smoothie is too thick, add an additional 1/3 cup of oat milk so blending is easier.
- Blend until smooth yet still thick. Pour into a bowl.
- Top the smoothie bowl with seasonal fresh fruit, your favourite granola, and hemp seeds.