Can we take a moment to focus on the fact that it is ALREADY June?!!!! These months are flying by but I’m always happy to welcome June and summer weather. Lately, it has 100% felt like summer over here in the Okanagan. I think It’s reaching up to 34 degrees celsius this week. Hellllllooooo Summer. I’m completely here for it. And completely here for this summer Vegan Pasta Salad. A cool salad full of fresh veggies and herbs is just what summer ordered! Toss in some epic vegan cheese (if that’s your thing) and you will have yourself such a simple pasta salad that just might become your summer go-to.
Why You’ll Love this Vegan Pasta Salad
- It takes less than 30 minutes to make! Score! Wouldn’t we all rather be at the beach or hiking than in the kitchen in the summer? Well, with this gluten free pasta salad you can make it ahead of time so that you have something to snack on when you get back from your outdoor adventures!
- I left vegan feta/cheese out of the original recipe for this dairy free pasta salad just for convenience for everyone. But if you have a favourite soft cheese (hello Nuts for Cheese) or fav feta DEFINITELY add it to this pasta. It takes it to the next level!!! But the pasta salad is still yummy without it!
- I love the simplicity of this vegan pasta salad, yet it packs such good flavours and the perfect crunch. No need to use crazy ingredients to make this vegan dish- simple is KEY here and I’m all for it!
How to make gluten free pasta salad
The great thing about the dairy free pasta salad is that your don’t need a crazy amount of ingredients! Start by cooking your pasta. My go-to gluten free pasta for fusilli noodles is the Rizopia brand. But use whatever your favourite is. While the pasta is cooking, begin to chop all the veggies for the pasta salad and add them to a large bowl.
Once the pasta is done cooking, drain the water and let the noodles cool down. While the pasta is cooling, prepare the dressing. Simply add all the dressing ingredients together in a bowl and whisk together. Then add the pasta to the rest of the ingredients. Add in any vegan cheese if you are doing so. This is optional. The gluten free pasta salad is great without any cheese but adding some vegan cheese does take it to the next level. Then pour in the dressing and toss until it’s all combined.
The vegan pasta salad is best FRESH but it also lasts in the fridge for a couple days after, it just begins to get a little dry the longer it stays in the fridge. So keep that in mind.
Looking for more vegan summer recipes? Try these.
As you can tell, I’m thrilled summer is just around the corner. I love all the fresh vegetables and fruit that come with the summer months. I’ve even started a little garden of my own which I can’t wait to harvest. I mean, I’m no green thumb so let’s hope something turns out! With summer, I love being outside as much as possible so I love making simple and quick recipes that aren’t overly heavy. The vegan pasta salad is super versatile. You can easily add your favourite vegan cheese to the mixture or chickpeas would be a great addition for a little extra protein. Whatever veggies you have available would probably be great in this gluten free pasta salad. The dressing is the most important part of this dairy free pasta salad, as it is for most salads. I hope you enjoy the simplicity and quickness of this pasta salad and if you end up making it, tag me on Instagram @greenseggsandyams, I love seeing what you get up to in the kitchen!
Vegan Pasta Salad
- 4 cups fusilli pasta (rizopia brand)
- 1 red pepper (thinly sliced or cubed)
- 1 nectarine (thinly sliced)
- 1/2 cup basil
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes (halved)
- 1/4 cup red onion (finely chopped)
- vegan feta (optional)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar (red or white wine vinegar would work)
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- pinch of salt
- 2 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- Begin by preparing the pasta. Bring a pot of water to boil and follow the pasta package instructions.
- While the pasta is cooking, chop the red pepper, nectarine, tomatoes and red onion. Add to a large bowl along with the basil leaves. If using feta or some time of vegan cheese, finely chop it and add it to the bowl as well.
- Once the pasta is cooked, drain the water and let the pasta cool.
- While the pasta is cooling, prepare the dressing. Add all the ingredients together and whisk.
- Add the pasta to the bowl, along with the dressing. Toss until fully combined.
- Best enjoyed the day of. Store leftovers in the fridge and enjoy within 2 days.