If you are looking for the best vegan sandwich to munch on this spring, look no further. I’ve created the ultimate crispy cauliflower sandwich. It’s obviously CRISPY, but it’s also healthy, and beautifully seasoned. The best part about this vegan cauliflower sandwich is that it is the perfect sammie to add ALL your favourite toppings to. Think pickles, tomatoes, vegan mayo, lettuce, and red onion. This is one dang good sammie that will fill your belly up and make you want to come back for seconds.
Why You’ll Love These Crispy Cauliflower Sandwiches
- The crust of the cauliflower after it’s baked in the oven, adds a big crunch to this sandwich, along with a lovely garlicky flavour.
- If you love your toppings, this crispy cauliflower sandwich is the best vegan sandwich to use ALL your favourite toppings on (calling all tomatoes, pickles, red onion, and lettuce lovers).
- The preparation for these vegan cauliflower sammies requires 3 bowls and some messy fingers BUT it doesn’t take long and it’s kinda fun to play with your food, right?!
- The Picky Husband LOVED this baked crispy cauliflower and it was his suggestion to add tomato and red onion to the toppings. This breaded baked cauliflower is crispy, healthy and a fun way to enjoy your veggies!
How To Make Crispy Cauliflower
The first place to start when making these crispy cauliflower sandwiches is the oven. Preheat that baby to 400ºF. Then we turn our focus to the cauliflower. It is way harder to cut small cauliflowers into steaks so I suggest using a medium-large cauliflower. Remove the outer leaves, and trim the stem, but keep it intact. Place the base of the cauliflower on a cutting board and then cut it in half (so it’s easier to handle). Then cut the cauliflower into 3/4″- 1″ thick slices. There will be some leftover cauliflower florets that fall off the ends of the cauliflower. Option to batter and bread these pieces as well and then they become more like baked crispy cauliflower wings. Or save them for another recipe.
Next, toast up the breadcrumbs with a little oil on the stove. This is important because this is what is going to add that CRISPY factor to these vegan cauliflower sandwiches.
the batter process
To batter the cauliflower for these crispy cauliflower sandwiches, you need three bowls. One bowl will have the combined milk and lemon. Bowl #2 will have the arrowroot starch or corn starch and bowl #3 will have the toasted breadcrumbs, garlic powder, salt and pepper. You’re hands are going to get messy during this process. But you can always wash them and continue the process with clean fingers.
You will want to use large bowls so that the cauliflower steaks can lay flat in each bowl. I suggest handling one cauliflower at a time as they are on the fragile side. Start with coating one cauliflower in the arrowroot starch, tapping off any excess on the side of the bowl. Then transfer it to the milk mixture, again tapping off any excess. Place the same cauliflower BACK in the arrowroot powder and then once more in the milk mixture. And lastly, coat all sides of the cauliflower in the breadcrumbs and then place it on a lined baking sheet. Do this for all 4 cauliflower steaks.
Once the batter process is done, bake the cauliflower for 20 minutes on one side, flip it, and bake for another 20 minutes. After 40 minutes the crispy cauliflower will be done. Now it’s time to add to a bun with your desired toppings!
Looking For More Vegan Sandwiches, Check These Ones Out!
- 15 Minute Chickpea Salad Sandwiches
- Grilled Zucchini Sandwiches with Vegan Pesto
- Vegan Pulled Pork Sandwiches
The best vegan sandwich is crispy, baked, garlicky, and so fun to make. Yes, your hands will get dirty, but that’s the best part about being in the kitchen- making a mess and then getting to eat what that mess made. With these crispy cauliflower sandwiches, you’ll enjoy your veggies in a fun way! Even the picky husband enjoyed this vegan cauliflower and he typically isn’t a huge cauliflower fan. Don’t forget to use your favourite toppings with these baked crispy cauliflower sandwiches! These vegan cauliflower sammies are delicious and might just become your new favourite lunch.
Crispy Cauliflower Sandwiches
- 1 medium cauliflower (cut into 1" steaks- roughly 4 steaks)
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 cups arrowroot starch or corn starch
- 2 cups plant-based milk
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 4 buns of choice
- vegan mayo
- red onion
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Begin by slicing the cauliflower into 4- one-inch steaks. Small cauliflowers are hard to do this with so make sure you use a medium-large sized cauliflower. Remove the outer leaves, and trim the stem, but keep it intact. Place the base of the cauliflower on a cutting board and then cut it in half (so it's easier to handle). Then cut the cauliflower into 3/4"- 1" thick slices. Save the ends of the cauliflower for a salad or another dish. Option to batter and bread these pieces as well and then they become more like dry breaded cauliflower wings.
- Toast the breadcrumbs. I used real bread and processed it in my food processor to create breadcrumbs. Heat a medium pan over medium heat. Add 2 cups of breadcrumbs to the hot pan and drizzle 2 tbsp of oil over top. Stir the oil into the breadcrumbs. Stir often to avoid the breadcrumbs from burning. Once the breadcrumbs have crisped up (roughly 6 minutes), remove them from the stove.
- Add the lemon juice and the milk together to a wide bowl. Add the arrowroot starch to another wide-rimmed bowl. And lastly, the breadcrumbs with the garlic powder, salt and pepper to a third bowl. You want the bowls to be big enough for the cauliflower to lay flat in.
- Handle/batter one cauliflower steak at a time as they tend to be somewhat fragile. Coat it first in the arrowroot starch (completely cover it and then tap it on the side of the bowl to remove the excess. Then place it in the milk and lemon mixture. Tap off the excess. Then it goes back into the arrowroot starch to coat it once more and then back into the milk mixture. Lastly, you then coat it in the breadcrumbs and then place it on the baking sheet. Do this process with all the cauliflower steaks.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, then flip and bake for another 20.
- Once the cauliflower is done, the top should look crispy and a fork should go through the cauliflower with ease.
- Assemble the sandwiches. Add each cauliflower steak to a bun, top it with mayo, lettuce, pickles, red onion, tomato or your desired toppings. Best eaten fresh.
Leave a Reply