I’ve officially said goodbye to summer and hello to soup season. And boy is this creamy Vegan Mushroom Soup one for the books! I love stocking the freezer with delicious soups in the colder months. This dairy-free soup is garlicky, full of fresh thyme, and perfectly salty. Each bowl of mushroom soup is creamy, smooth, and flavour-packed. This is a vegan fall recipe that will warm you right up, and get you ready to say goodbye to summer and hello to cozy nights.
Why You’ll Love This Vegan Mushroom Soup
- THE FLAVOURS. OH MY WORD. The thyme, miso paste, balsamic and garlic bring out so many yummy fall flavours in this dairy free soup. I can’t get over the flavours.
- Dairy free soups are a staple in the colder months, so I love making a bunch and then freezing them. This dairy free mushroom soup is a perfect make-ahead recipe because you can freeze it. Who doesn’t love it when dinner is already ready when you get home from work?! Let it thaw and reheat before enjoying!
- As it is with most dairy free soups, most of the cooking process for this vegan mushroom soup is waiting while it simmers. So besides the chopping, soups are pretty low maintenacne to make- which I’m alwasy all for. So grab a glass of wine and let’s get this mushroom soup simmering!
- 40 minutes to make this velvety smooth soup!
What You Need To Make This Dairy free Soup
- miso paste
- white wine (optional)
- miso paste
- balsamic vinegar
- fresh thyme
- vegetable broth
- salt and pepper
- high speed blender
How To Make Creamy Mushroom Soup
This mushroom soup recipe is big-time Picky Husband Approved. He is actually the one who gave me the idea for this recipe. We were visiting Whistler and we ended up eating at Milestones and Adam ordered the most delicious mushroom soup that was vegan and gluten free. I tried a bite and was in heaven. SO GOOD. So that is my inspiration for this soup. Adam said it himself, it doesn’t look pretty, but it tastes phenomenal.
So let’s get to how to make this vegan mushroom soup. It’s just as easy as making any other soup. Start by soaking the cashews. The cashew cream in this dairy-free soup is 100% worth the hype. It adds the most subtle creaminess to the mushroom soup that is totally needed. Once they are soaking set them aside.
Chop and sauté the onions, garlic, mushrooms and potato over medium heat. Next, add a little wine, the miso paste, balsamic vinegar and fresh thyme. The aroma that will erupt will be AMAZING.
The next step on this vegan mushroom soup adventure is to add the vegetable stock, salt and pepper and bring the soup to a boil. Then let the mushroom soup simmer, covered for 15- 20 minutes.
While the mushroom soup is simmering, bring your focus back to the cashew cream. Drain the water that the cashews were in. Then add the cashews to a high-speed blender- this is important. I find it is easier to blend the cashew cream with a cup attachment for my Vitamix so if you have something similar (magic bullet style), I suggest using that. Add 1/3 cup of water + 3 tbsp at first. If you are still having trouble blending the cashews add 1-2 more tablespoons of water. You want the cashew cream to be of “cream” consistency- smooth but not overly thick.
Once the creamy mushroom soup has been simmering, remove it from the stove and blend it until smooth. Add it back into the pot and then add the cashew cream in (all of it). Top the brown dairy-free mushroom soup with some sautéed mushrooms and parsley to spruce it up!
For more Dairy-Free Soup Recipes, Try These:
Vegan cooking doesn’t always have to be complicated and if you are just starting to eat this way or just looking for healthier recipes, I think soups are a great place to start. This easy vegan mushroom soup has a lovely creamy consistency and is packed with gorgeous flavours and aromas from just using simple ingredients. If this is your first time using cashew cream, I think you will be pleasantly surprised. It’s truly a delicious addition to this dairy free mushroom soup. Pair this soup with your favourite bread or crackers and cozy up by the fire as the darker nights and the cooler weather settles in. I promise this dairy free cream of mushroom soup will make the darkness and coldness more bearable.
Vegan Mushroom Soup
- 1-2 tsp oil for cooking
- 600 g cremini mushrooms stems removed and the caps sliced
- 1 medium white potato ( cubed and measures ~ 1 cup)
- 1 red onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup white wine (optional)
- 1 tbsp miso paste
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 heaping tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup raw cashews (soaked for at least 30 minutes)
- 1/3 cup + 3-4 tbsp water
- parsley (optional)
- sautéd mushrooms (optional)
- Prepare the cashews first for the cashew cream by covering 1/2 cup of cashews in boiling water. Set aside and let soak for 30 minutes.
- Heat a large pot over the stove on medium heat. Add the oil.
- Finely chop the onion and garlic. Add to the pot to sauté.
- Wash and remove the stems of the mushrooms. Slice the mushrooms and add to the pot with the onion and garlic.
- Wash and cut the potato into small cubes (leave the skin on). Add to the pot and sauté until golden. Next, add the white wine (if using) and let it all cook together for a few minutes.
- Add the miso paste, balsamic vinegar, thyme and salt and pepper. Then add the vegetable broth. Bring to a boil and then let the soup simmer, covered for 15-20 minutes.
- While the soup is simmering, prepare the cashew cream. Remove the water covering the cashews and add the cashews to a high-speed blender. Add 1/3 cup + 3 tbsp of water. Blend until thick and smooth. I find it is easier to blend the cashew cream with a cup attachment for my Vitamix so if you have something similar (magic bullet style), I suggest using that. Add an additional 2 tbsp of water to help with the blending process.
- Once the soup is done cooking, add the soup to a blender and blend until smooth. Add the soup back to the pot and add in all the cashew cream!
- Top the soup with sautéd mushrooms and parsley to pretty it up! Store the soup in a sealed container in the fridge or freeze it!