Really missing the beach these days as it just snowed here last night. I’m all ready for summer and winter basically just started… So I made this simple Margarita Smoothie to remind me of the beauty of a tropical vacation and what sunshine feels like. This smoothie is loaded with pineapple, coconut yogurt, dates, spinach, coconut water and lots of lime! I kept this smoothie healthy by adding no tequila, but you do you. 2021 isn’t off to a great start and it’s feeling a lot like 2020 so if you need that shot, go for it.
How to make a smoothie without banana
The first time I tried to make a smoothie without banana, it was nasty. I know you can use cauliflower as a sub but I could always still taste the cauliflower and to be honest, I love bananas. But I was trying to be on-trend (cue eye roll). I gave up and since then every day when I have my smoothie, there is a banana in it.
But THIS pineapple spinach smoothie is banana free. So if bananas aren’t your thing, this margarita smoothie just might be. It was a fluke it happened this way, it wasn’t intentional but it works. Since the early days of my experimenting with making a smoothie without banana, I’ve learned a lot more. Coconut yogurt and avocado make for good substitutes as well, and you don’t have to steam your cauliflower and then freeze it to have that creamy factor for your smoothie. So if you are looking to avoid bananas keep in mind that there are other ways to still enjoy a velvety-smooth shake like this pineapple shake sans banana. Simply look towards avocado and yogurt to keep your prep time within that 5-minute window!
here are a few reasons why I love this margarita smoothie, so listen up!
- I love the combination of coconut water and oat milk in this smoothie. Coconut water is super hydrating and keeps you feeling refreshed and light. Whereas the oat milk adds a subtle but delicious creaminess to this margarita smoothie. The combination of the two is just what I want from a tropical pineapple coconut smoothie! I used the Thirsty Buddha brand coconut water for this recipe and it was spot on!
- Early mornings can be rough, let’s be honest. I typically have coffee in one hand, lemon water in the other all while trying to figure out how to hold my smoothie as well. I typically have a smoothie for breakfast and I like to change it up every few weeks. This pineapple spinach smoothie was just what I was craving after a few weeks of a peanut butter cacao smoothie. Something totally opposite but still dang good. The lime addition to this smoothie makes me dream of drinking a margarita on the beach. This smoothie is energizing, loaded with antioxidants and if you need an extra boost of protein, add in your favourite protein powder and bob’s your uncle.
- I have nothing against bananas. I typically don’t make a smoothie without a banana. They just add so much creaminess to the smoothies and I’m all for it! But it just so happens that this is a smoothie without banana. So for you banana haters, this one is for you. But don’t fret, it still has a creamy consistency due to the coconut yogurt. So if you like creamy non-dairy smoothies I highly suggest not skimping on the vegan yogurt (or sub half an avocado if you are avoiding yogurt).
- This pineapple shake needed more than just the pineapple to sweeten it. When it comes to sweetening smoothies, I naturally turn to dates. They are my favourite. They add a rounded sweetness to anything. I added 3 dates to this pineapple spinach smoothie but you can taste test and always add more, or start with less and go from there. My favourite dates are from Natural Delights. A friendly reminder to remove those pits before you turn that blender on!!
Here are some other non dairy smoothies to check out:
I’m not going to be on a beach any time soon. I suppose I’ll be waiting until June at this point. And truthfully, there are bigger issues in the world than having tanned skin and feeling the warmth of the sun. But if you ever need a little energy boost (and I’m not talking about from a shot of tequila) this margarita smoothie is bound to refresh and revitalize you. It might get you dreaming about the tropical vacay life thanks to it’s zesty lime flavour, and coconutty goodness. If you are looking for a quick morning drink, this pineapple coconut smoothie has your name on it.
- 1 1/2 cups frozen pineapple
- 3 medjool dates (pits removed + gooey)
- 1/2 cup ice
- 1/2 cup coconut yogurt (unsweetened)
- 2 tbsp lime juice (roughly 1 lime)
- 1 tbsp lime zest (from 1 lime)
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 cup coconut water
- 1 cup oat milk
- Remove the pits from the dates. Combine all the ingredients into a high-speed blender and blend until smooth. Add a little more liquid if too thick or having trouble blending.