As I get older, my love for 30 minute vegetarian meals grows. Being an adult is TOUGH. So if I can still make delicious and healthy meals but in a short amount of time I am so in. After working all day, the last thing you want to do is spend 2 hours in the kitchen, even if you love cooking. To me (outside of the blog) long, slow recipes are saved for the weekends and quick or easy recipes are all the rage on my work nights. Cue this Peanut Butter Stir Fry. It’s so easy to make and has a ton of options. Choose your favourite grain (I like rice in this case), your favourite vegetables for stir fry and your choice of protein (optional, but a great addition). The real star is the vegan stir fry sauce- and most things are going to go great with it! No one needs to work hard AFTER the workday is done, so make this easy gluten free stir fry to fill up your belly and free up your evening!
Why You’ll Love This Peanut Butter Stir Fry
- You can make this peanut butter stir fry in less than 30 minutes. Talk about the perfect weeknight meal.
- Add your favourite vegan protein to this dish to take it to the next level- tofu, quinoa, chickpeas- you name it.
- This gluten free stir fry uses simple ingredients which allows for personal adjustments. Add your favourite veggies, grain and protein because the sauce is the real winner here.
- You only need 6 ingredients to make this vegan stir fry sauce! I bet you already have them in your pantry!
How to make this gluten free stir fry
This gluten free stir fry is a cinch to make. Start by preparing your rice (or grain of choice- quinoa would be a nice substitution here). Then prep the veggies. I used broccoli, red pepper, carrots and snow peas. I love the addition of the snow peas because they add the most delciious crunch. Saute the veggies (except the snow peas) for a few minutes until they become brighter in colour, then add the garlic and ginger to spice this dish up.
While everything is cooking away, being to prepare the peanut sauce. Add the peanut butter, tamari, sriracha, maple syrup, lime juice and water all to a bowl and whisk. I suggested starting with 1/4 cup of water, and add more as you go. The thickness of the sauce is a personal choice. I actually ended up adding closer to 1/2 cup of water because I wanted the sauce to be thinner. But play around with the thickness and do what works for you.
Add the rice to the veggies, and the sauce to the pan and toss everything together. An option here is to add tofu, chickpeas or any other addition. This peanut butter stir fry is such a great dish because it allows for freedom. Obviously, anything you add will change the taste a little in the dish. But because the vegan stir fry sauce is the main event, the taste won’t change dramatically.
I’m constantly looking for ways to save time in the kitchen. What has been a game-changer for me when it comes to quick weeknight dinners is preparing ahead. Even if it’s just chopping the veggies on Sunday or the morning of, it feels like it takes a huge weight off my shoulders when it comes to actually cooking dinner. Making the sauces ahead of time are also key. But if preparing ahead just isn’t your thing, then my number one piece of advice would just be to make sure you have all the ingredients in your fridge. By simply being organized for that, it will take away any surprises.
For more 30 minute Vegetarian meals, check these out!
This Peanut Butter Stir Fry is filling, zesty, garlicky and of course peanut buttery! I am currently in love with how simple this gluten free stir fry is to make and the killer sauce that goes with it. We’ve been eating this veggie stir fry on repeat over the last few weeks and we are far from being sick of it. Add whatever veggies you have on hand, change up the grain but keep the sauce and it’s like a new recipe each night. If you do eat it every night though, you might get sick of it. But until that unfortunate day, embrace this new 30-minute meal because we all need more easy and quick meals in our back pocket.
Peanut Butter Stir Fry
- rice for 2
- 1-2 tsp oil
- 1 head broccoli (finely chopped)
- 1 red pepper (sliced)
- 2 medium carrots (sliced into coins)
- 2 large handfuls of snow peas
- 2 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- 1-2 inch piece of ginger (finely chopped)
Peanut Butter Sauce
- 3 tbsp smooth peanut butter
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 1 tbsp sriracha
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 -1/2 cup water (more to thin)
- Begin by preparing rice for 2. When the rice is done, set it aside.
- Heat 1-2 tsp of oil in a large cast-iron pan (or saucepan) over medium heat. Finely chop the broccoli, slice the red pepper and slice the carrots. Add them to the heated pan. Saute for 5 minutes or so.
- Finely chop the garlic and ginger and then add to the pan for a few minutes.
- Prepare the sauce by adding all the ingredients into a large bowl and whisking until smooth. I suggest starting with 1/4 cup of water and then slowly adding a little more until your desired thickness is reached. I used close to 1/2 cup of water, but that is just my preference.
- Add the snow peas to the pan for the last few minutes. Then add the rice to the veggies and pour in the sauce. Toss until everything is coated in the peanut butter stir fry sauce. Serve right away or store leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge and reheat before eating.