I rounded up my favourite brunch recipes for Mother’s Day but if you are looking for one more recipe that is hearty, protein-packed and filling, you gotta try these vegetarian breakfast burritos. THEY GOOD. Use your favourite gluten free tortillas and load them up with roasted garlicky potatoes, cheezy tofu, avocado lime creme and your go-to salsa! These vegan burritos are bound to bring a smile to mom’s face. Bring her a hot coffee and these wraps to her in bed this weekend, and you will for sure be her favourite child!
Why You’ll Love These Vegan Burritos
- These vegetarian breakfast burritos are so simple to make. The hardest part of the whole process is waiting for the potatoes to roast and crisp up. But sip on a mimosa while you wait and all will be well.
- If you are looking for a hearty, protein-packed breakfast for Mother’s Day or just for your weekend, these gluten free burritos will do the job. They will keep your belly nice and full!
- There are a lot of ways to adjust these vegan burritos to your liking: use gluten free tortillas or don’t, use mild, medium or hot salsa, don’t want the avocado-lime creme- make a cashew sour cream! With the base of this recipe being super basic, it allows for you to put your own spin on it.
- LEFTOVERS. These vegetarian breakfast burritos are killer the next day if you happen to have any leftovers. Just reheat the ingredients in the oven for a few minutes and then load up those tortillas.
How to Make Vegetarian Breakfast Burritos
The potatoes take the longest to prepare for these vegan burritos so that is where we will start. Preheat the oven and get the baking sheet ready. Then dice your potatoes into cubes, measuring out 4 cups. Toss the potatoes in oil and the seasonings. Bake for 20 minutes and then flip for another 20 or until they are toasty and golden. While the potatoes are baking shift your focus to the tofu scramble for the gluten free burritos.
I suggest squeezing out some of the excess liquid from the tofu first. Wrap the tofu in a towel and place something heavy on it for a few minutes. Or just manually squeeze the tofu so that water comes out. Once satisfied, heat a pan up with oil in it, toss in the tofu, breaking it apart to create small pieces. Add in the nutritional yeast and other ingredients (leaving out the green onion until the end). You want the tofu to still be a little moist, so don’t cook it until it’s dried out.
To make the avocado lime creme for the vegetarian breakfast burritos, simply add all the ingredients to a food processor and blend until smooth. 3 ingredients to create a killer sauce!
Once the taters are done, it’s time to assemble. No matter what tortilla wrap you are using, (but especially if they are gluten free tortillas) pop them in the microwave to soften (about 15 seconds) right before adding the fillings and rolling them up. When the tortillas are warm they are softer which makes them way easier to wrap and they are less likely to split or fall apart.
Load each tortilla up with some potatoes, tofu, avocado creme, green onion and your choice of salsa! You should have lots to divide among at least 4 wraps. If you are making these vegan burritos for a whole bunch of people, use 400g of tofu and another 1-2 cups of cubed potatoes. You don’t want anyone to be left hungry!
My Favourite Gluten Free Tortillas To Use:
Mom deserves the best. So if she doesn’t have a sweet tooth, and always loves something savoury in the morning, make her these vegetarian breakfast burritos. They are filling, zesty, garlicky and so comforting. These vegan burritos are actually super simple to make. There isn’t a lot of fuss, just a few steps that take a little bit of patience. AKA waiting for the baking time of those taters. Make these gluten free burritos for mom, or make them for yourself every dang weekend. You deserve the good stuff too!
Vegetarian Breakfast Burritos
- food processor
- 4 cups cubed potatoes (roughly 1" cubes)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 200g extra firm tofu
- 2 tsp oil of choice
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- salt and pepper
- 2 sprigs of green onion
Avocado Lime Creme
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 lime, juiced (1 1/2 Tbsp juice)
- 1 garlic clove
- 4 large tortilla wraps
- salsa of choice
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut 2-3 medium potatoes (I used Russet) into small cubes and then toss them in the oil, garlic powder, sea salt and pepper. Bake for 20 minutes, then flip and bake for another 15-20 minutes or until golden and crispy.
- While the potatoes are baking start on the tofu. I suggest pressing the tofu for a few minutes to remove the excess water. Wrap the tofu in a towel and place a heavy object on it for a few minutes. Then heat a pan oven medium heat and add the oil to it.
- Crumble the tofu in the pan, and further break it down using a spatula. Add in the garlic, nutritional yeast and salt and pepper and mix. Cook for 10 minutes or so. Toss in the green onion and set aside.
- Prepare the avocado lime creme by adding the avocado, lime juice and garlic to a food processor, process until smooth. Set aside.
- Begin to assemble the breakfast wraps once the potatoes are done.
- I suggest heating each tortilla in the microwave for 15 seconds to soften them so that rolling the tortillas is easier and they are less likely to crack.
- Add potatoes, tofu, avocado-lime creme and salsa to each wrap. You should easily have enough for 4 wraps and some potatoes left behind (but these are perfect on the side).
- All these ingredients can be stored in containers in the fridge for leftovers. I suggest reheating before eating.