These Chickpea Salad Sandwiches are a new obsession. It’s the quickest meal to make that is loaded with vegan protein. This smashed chickpea sandwich is tangy, and slightly sweet, has the perfect texture and is a great vegan alternative to an egg salad sandwich. This chickpea salad sandwich recipe takes 15 minutes to make. Screw 30 minute meals, 15 minutes is where it’s at. This is a great recipe for a quick, protein-packed lunch that is mouthwateringly flavourful.
Why You’ll Love These Vegan Egg Salad Sandwiches
- This vegan egg salad sandwich mixture takes 15 minutes (at the most) to make
- This next level chickpea egg salad only uses 7 ingredients, all simple ingredients
- It’s been approved by the Picky Husband who is a normal egg salad fanatic
- Loaded with protein (thanks chickpeas), and has the perfect texture
- It’s a quick and flavourful recipe that is perfect for meal prep
How To Make Chickpea Salad Sandwiches
- This chickpea egg salad takes no time at all to throw together. It’s one of those recipes that you are going to want to have in your back pocket. Especially for those days when the fridge is looking empty. The ingredients used to make this chickpea egg salad are probably already in your pantry! You need a can of chickpeas, relish, celery, red onion, dijon mustard, mayo, and bit of salt and pepper.
- First thing, this recipe can easily be a ONE-BOWL kind of meal. Add the chickpeas, relish, celery, red onion, and dijon to a food processor and pulse until a flaky consistency forms. You don’t want it completely smooth, but you also don’t want any whole chickpeas left over. So a nice middle ground is best. You can also use a fork to smash the canned chickpeas in a mixing bowl if you don’t have a food processor. Break them down with the fork until a desired consistency and then add the chopped celery and onion along with the condiments.
- Then stir in the vegan mayonnaise. I used Hellmann’s creamy vegan mayo because I love the consistency and taste of it. Add in the salt and pepper and then taste it to see if it needs a sprinkle more.
- Spread the vegan egg salad mixture onto your favourite slices of bread. The mixture makes enough for roughly 4 chickpea salad sandwiches. It also stores nicely in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days. Use the toppings of your choice: tomato slices, fresh herbs, green onions, red pepper, or a splash of lemon juice. The total time to make this vegan sandwich recipe is 15 minutes.
What Are Some Alternatives To Tuna Salad Sandwiches?
These smashed chickpea sandwiches are the perfect alternative. They are filled with protein, flavour and the texture is perfection.
What Are Some Good Ideas For Vegan Sandwiches?
How Long Does Chickpea Salad Last?
Keep any leftovers of this chickpea salad in an air-tight container in the fridge for 2-3 days.
Looking For More Vegan Sandwich Ideas? Check These Out
- Vegetarian Sloppy Joes
- Pulled Pork Sandwiches
- Grilled Zucchini Sandwiches with Pesto
- Cripsy Cauliflower Sandwiches
These chickpea salad sandwiches just might be your new best friend when you are need of a healthy but quick lunch or for a healthy road trip lunch. This chickpea egg salad checks all the boxes when it comes to texture, protein and flavour. Load your veggie sandwich up with this chickpea egg salad, and your favourite fresh veggies. Enjoy a little crunch, a little tang and a whole lot of healthy goodness in each bite.
Chickpea Salad Sandwiches
- 1 can chickpeas (19 fl oz)
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup red onion (finely chopped)
- 1/3 cup celery (finely chopped)
- 2 tsp sweet relish
- 1/4 cup vegan mayo (Hellmann's)
- salt and pepper to taste
- bread of choice
- Rinse the chickpeas and add to a food processor.
- Add in the dijon mustard, red onion, celery, and relish (everything except the mayo and salt and pepper). Pulse until a flaky consistency has formed. You don't want the mixture to be completely smooth. Keep some of the texture of the chickpeas but you shouldn't have full chickpeas in the mixture.
- Transfer the mixture to a separate bowl and stir in the mayo and season it with salt and pepper.
- There is enough chickpea salad for roughly 4 sandwiches. Divide evenly among the sandwiches. Top with extra veggies (romaine, cucumber). If you have extras, store the rest in a sealed container for 2-3 days.