Hello, creamy goodness. You can’t really say no to a healthy no bake key lime pie, can you?! If you said yes, I don’t think we can be friends. JK. But not really. This gluten free key lime pie has a nutty, and simple base, that compliments the star (the filling) beautifully. The filling is creamy, tangy, and full of healthy fats. This gluten and dairy free dessert is a lovely combination of a key lime pie and a mini key lime cheesecake- the best of both worlds.
Why You’ll Love These Mini No-Bake Key Lime Pies
- These vegan key lime pies are creamy, zesty, and a cinch to make
- Anything mini is cute
- This gluten and dairy free dessert is a beautiful cross between a key lime pie and a vegan lime cheesecake- what could be better?!
- You don’t need the oven at all for these mini key lime cheesecakes- just a little patience for that freezer time
- If you need a festive green dessert (think St. Patties Day), this vegan key lime pie recipe is perfect
How To Make Key Lime Pie?
This no bake key lime pie recipe is a little different than the traditional kind. But don’t let that turn you away. I promise it is still loaded with those flavours you are craving. This gluten free key lime pie recipe is so simple. The hardest part is the setting time- when you are waiting for it to set in the freezer.
Start by preparing the crust for these mini key lime pie cheesecakes. Combine the nuts, dates, salt and vanilla together into a food processor. Process until the mixture has broken down and it sticks together. If it isn’t overly sticky, try adding two more dates. You want your dates to be fresh and gooey, not hard. Also, don’t forget to remove those pits from the dates!
Once the texture is crumbly but sticky, add roughly 5 tablespoons to each 4 1/2″ tart pan. Note: you don’t have to use a 4 1/2″ tart pan, but depending on what size you use will alter the amount of crust mixture you need in each tart and the amount of filling you use. The important part of this no bake key lime pie is that you have enough crust to cover the bottom and for it to crawl up the sides of the tart pan. Once the crust mixture has been used up, pop these vegan key lime pie crusts into the freezer until the filling is ready.
The filling is simple to make. Rinse out that food processor and then add the avocado, coconut cream, lime zest, lime juice, avocado, maple syrup and arrowroot starch to the food processor and blend until it’s thick but smooth. Make sure you take a peek at the notes section of the recipe if you are using the coconut cream from a can of full-fat coconut milk as that takes a little planning ahead- but it is totally doable.
Then add roughly 4 tablespoons of the filling to each gluten free key lime pie crust. Next, place these mini key lime cheesecakes into the freezer for at least 6 hours to set or overnight. I suggest letting the vegan key lime pies thaw for 20 minutes before enjoying them.
Looking for more gluten and dairy free desserts?
The hunt is over if you are searching for a creamy green dessert. These mini key lime cheesecakes are the perfect dessert to say hello to spring. These no bake key lime pies are light, zesty, and a healthy alternative to the traditional key lime pie. Also, with St. Patrick’s Day coming up, this would be the ultimate gluten and dairy free dessert to dig into- just sayin’.
Mini No Bake Key Lime Pies
- food processor
- Four 4 1/2" Tart Pans
- 2 cups raw nuts (1 cup pecans/ 1 cup almonds)
- 1 cup gooey medjool dates (pits removed- roughly 12-14 dates)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 cup coconut cream see notes
- 1 heaping tbsp lime zest
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 tbsp arrowroot starch or corn starch
- Combine the nuts and dates (pits removed) into a food processor. Pulse until a fine meal has formed and the mixture sticks together. If it isn't sticking together add 2 more dates. Add the vanilla and salt.
- Add 5 tbsp of the crust to 4 tart pans (mine were 4 1/2" tart pans), making sure you press the mixture firmly into the base of the tart pans and up the sides. Set in the freezer while you prepare the filling.
- Lightly rinse the food processor and then add the filling ingredients to the food processor. Blend until smooth. (See notes for the coconut cream).
- Remove the crusts from the freezer and add roughly 4 tbsp of filling to each crust. If there are any leftovers, simply divide the rest evenly among the 4 tarts.
- Set in the freezer for at least 6 hours, but overnight is best.
- When you are ready to eat the key lime pies, let them thaw on the counter for 20 minutes to soften. Store in a sealed container in the freezer.