I would say a classic chocolate chip cookie is my ultimate weakness, and sometimes you also crave that EXTRA chocolate goodness. That’s where these vegan double chocolate chip cookies come in. These dairy free cookies are doubled up on the chocolate, they have a crispy outside and a softer middle. No one needs to know that these cookies are gluten free AND vegan- they truly won’t be able to tell. The texture and taste are THAT good.
Why you’ll love these Vegan Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
- These dairy free cookies are loaded with DOUBLE the chocolate
- They are gluten free but you would never know it because the texture and taste is spot on
- If you use Enjoy Life chocolate (like I did) for these vegan double chocolate chip cookies you don’t have to worry about what’s in the ingredients as they are free from most allergens
- This recipe is super straightforward to make and the end result is a dang good cookie!
How To Make Gluten Free Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
I say this a lot, but truly these dairy free cookies are a cinch to make. I suggest starting with preparing the flax egg by combining 1 tbsp of flaxseed meal with 3 tbsp of water. Let that sit for roughly 5 minutes until the combination has thickened. Flax is loaded with Omega-3 fats and fibre- so all the good stuff. Get your vegan butter to sit out so it is room temperature before you use it. I’ve tested these dairy free chocolate cookies with Miyoko’s butter and Earth Balance, and both turned out delish.
Ok, so once that flax egg is sitting, and the butter is at room temp, cream together the butter and sugar- either using hand beaters, or a kitchen aid mixer with the paddle. This process adds air to the butter which in the end results in some fluffy and light-textured cookies. So this is a good thing!
Once the sugar and butter have been combined, add in the vanilla and flax egg. Combine the dry ingredients in a separate bowl (leaving out the chocolate chips). Then add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture. Use your kitchen aid mixer to mix everything together Or stir by hand. It’s important that you stir JUST until everything is combined (so there are no specks of flour left in the batter). You don’t want to over-mix the batter or you will be left with a crispy and very flat cookie. There is totally a time and place for a flatter cookie, but these vegan double chocolate chip cookies weren’t intended to go that way.
the bake time
Bake these gluten free double chocolate chip cookies in a 350ºF oven on a lined baking sheet. The perfect bake time for me was 12 minutes. They will come out of the oven still quite soft, that is NORMAL. The cooling process for most vegan and gluten free baking is key. The cookies will continue to bake while cooling- solidifying a crispy outside and soft, fluffy middle. So it’s important to let them cool on the baking sheet for roughly 10 minutes and then transfer them to a cooling rack to finish the cooling process.
The end result- 9-10 delectable vegan double chocolate chip cookies. Try not eating them all in one sitting!
Check These Other Dairy Free Cookies Out!
- Breakfast Cookies
- Lemon Gingerbread Thumbprint Cookies
- One Bowl Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Snickerdoodle Cookies
These dairy free chocolate cookies are double the yumminess because they are loaded with all that chocolatey goodness. I mean, unless you don’t like chocolate, how could you not go crazy for 1, 2 or 10 of these cookies? Although, I do suggest sharing. These vegan double chocolate chip cookies have become a staple at the Greens, Eggs, and Yams HQ and we are not mad about it. They are so quick to whip up, especially once you’ve made them once or twice. I tend to always have the ingredients for these cookies on hand because they are pretty typical when it comes to the vegan/ gluten free baking game. If you are looking to double up your chocolate game right now, then these bad boys are calling your name!
Vegan Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp flax meal + 3 tbsp water)
- 1/3 cup vegan butter (room temperature)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips (Enjoy Life brand)
- Preheat the oven the 350ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Prepare the flax egg by adding 1 tbsp of flax meal with 3 tbsp of water. Let it sit for 5 minutes until a yolky consistency has formed.
- Combine the butter and sugar together in a bowl and beat together to cream the mixer. Use hand beaters or a kitchen aid mixer. Then add the vanilla and the flax egg.
- Combine all the dry ingredients (except the chocolate chips) together in a separate bowl. Mix slightly, then add to the butter mixture. Mix just until the ingredients are combined. Either hand stir or gently mix with your kitchen aid mixer paddle.
- Fold in the chocolate chips, making sure to not over mix the batter. Spoon roughly 2 tbsp of batter for each cookie into a ball and then place on the baking sheet. Gently press down with the palm of your hand, spacing the cookies out nicely.
- Bake for 12 minutes. Let cool on the sheet for 10 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack to finish cooling. Cookies will be soft when they first come out of the oven so it is important to let the cooling process finish so they can firm up.
Leave a Reply