I have 5 words for you: One Bowl Chocolate Chip Cookies. Yup. You only need one bowl to make the most epic and chewy dairy free chocolate chip cookies. These vegan gluten free cookies use almond flour and oat flour as their base which allows for a beautiful texture (none of that gluten free sawdust crap). The vegan butter, coconut sugar and extra chocolate really bring out all the comforts you want in a homemade chocolate chip cookie. No one needs to know (or will guess) that these one bowl chocolate chip cookies are vegan and gluten free!
Why You’ll Love These One Bowl Chocolate Chip Cookies
- These dairy free chocolate chip cookies have a chewy inside, and a crispy outside which makes them basically the perfect cookie texture. As soon as you sink your teeth into one of these one bowl chocolate chip cookies, you’ll understand.
- If you are into a SUPER flat cookie, I mention in the notes section of the recipe how to adapt the recipe to get that flattened cookie look (these are the Picky Husband’s favourite way to make them).
- ONE BOWL. I don’t think I need to say more. But I will just in case it hasn’t sunk it. You only need one freakin’ bowl to make these dairy free chocolate chip cookies. It is a big deal.
- These vegan gluten free cookies completely mimic that traditional chocolate chip cookie that you may have been missing since going plant-based/gluten free. I’m bringing you back to the goodness of what a traditional chocolate chip cookie should be like, without compromising on ingredients.
What You Need To Make These Dairy Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
What you need to make these epic one bowl chocolate chip cookies isn’t complicated. You start with a flax egg, which helps to bind the cookies. Once the flax egg has thickened (after 5 minutes) add that room temperature vegan butter, coconut sugar and vanilla. Using hand-beaters or your kitchen aid mixer to mix the ingredients together until smooth and creamy. Then start to add the dry ingredients: almond flour, oat flour, baking soda, baking powder and sea salt. Stir with a wooden spoon or the paddle attachment of your kitchen aid until a beautiful cookie texture has formed.
Now for the best part. The chocolate. I love Enjoy Life’s MEGA Chocolate Chunks because they are free of most allergens and they taste dang good. So that is the chocolate I used in these dairy free cookies. If you end up adding a few extra spoonfuls of chocolate to the batter, no one will be angry! Make sure you taste test the batter of these one bowl chocolate chip cookies before placing them on the baking sheet- it’s the biggest perk to vegan baking!
For More Dairy Free Cookies, Check These Out
- Vegan Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
- The Best Vegan Ginger Cookies
- Homemade Gluten Free Oreos
- Vegan Snickerdoodles
These dairy free chocolate chip cookies are simple to make, have a chewy texture and use simple gluten free ingredients. These one bowl chocolate chip cookies have become a favourite in my home and I’ll be honest they are a little deadly- it’s hard to stop at just one. Make sure to let these dairy free chocolate chip cookies cool when they come out of the oven as they will still be quite soft. Let them cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes until they are firm enough to transfer to a cooling rack. Once on the cooling rack, let these one bowl chocolate chip cookies cool completely. You can definitely enjoy these vegan gluten free cookies before they are completely cool, they just won’t be as sturdy as if you wait. But no matter, they will taste hella good.
These vegan gluten free cookies have been an absolute favourite of the Picky Husband’s for a while and he said I NEEDED to share the recipe. He thought it was crazy these one bowl chocolate chip cookies weren’t on the blog. To be honest, I created this recipe for another purpose, but after a little tweaking, I decided to share it anyways. I make these dairy free chocolate chip cookies at least once a month because we are both crazy obsessed with them AND they are so easy to make. If you are on the hunt for a new chocolate chip cookie recipe, this one just might be your new favourite. I’m at least very confident you won’t hate it.
One Bowl Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Hand Mixer/ Stand Up Mixer
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp flax meal mixed with 3 tbsp water)
- 1/3 cup vegan butter (room temperature)
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1 cup almond flour
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1/4-1/3 cup chocolate chips (Enjoy Life)
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone liner.
- Add 1 tbsp flax meal with 3 tbsp of water to the bowl you will be using (i.e the kitchen aid mixer bowl). Let the flax egg sit for 5 minutes or until it starts to thicken.
- Add the butter, sugar and vanilla to the flax egg and mix together using a hand mixer or the paddle or whisk attachment for your kitchen aid. Mix until smooth.
- Slowly add the rest of the ingredients (oat flour, almond flour, baking powder, baking soda, and sea salt). Mix until thick and smooth.
- Fold in the chocolate.
- Using a melon ball scooper (roughly 2 Tbsp per cookie), measure out 6-8 cookies on a baking sheet. They will spread slightly so space them out. Lightly flatten the cookies with the palm of your hand. Bake for 12 minutes. The cookies will still be soft when they come out of the oven so make sure to let them cool on the sheet for 10 minutes and then transfer them to a cooling rack. Divide and bake the rest of the cookie batter. Makes 9-10 cookies (depending on if you eat some of the batter!).
- Store in a container on the counter.