These Grapefruit Mimosas are just what you need for the rest of your holidays. Whether you have the whole week off or you are heading back to work in the next few days and are counting down the hours until New Years Day, these grapefruit cocktails need to happen at some point. I think we are all eager to ring in the new year and say goodbye to 2020. So you should probably start the celebrating early in the day, let’s say at brunch, with these mimosas!
Master these grapefruit mimosas with only 3 ingredients
All you need for these grapefruit mimosas are grapefruit juice, thyme and champagne. If you are more of a prosecco person, prosecco will work just fine. I hope no sommeliers are reading this because they will probably not be impressed with that suggestion. But ignore them. The thyme is optional but it adds a subtle earthy and wintery flavour to these grapefruit cocktails. And hey, if grapefruit isn’t your jam, orange is a perfect substitution!
Who is ready to say adios to 2020. It has definitely been an eye-opening year for me. Honestly, I learned a lot about friendship this year-good and not so good. I also learned I just want to live in the same city as all my family. Because at the end of the day, that is what matters, spending time with your loved ones. That’s it. I think that is life’s great and simple secret.
I also had some HUGE moments this year in regards to this blog. Learning to shift my mindset with the blog to grow into a business is hard and I’m still working on it. But I think I’m on the right path! I’ve really had to get out of my comfort zone which is a terrifying and profound thing to do. I also feel like I’ve been able to connect with this community more than ever this year which is (at the end of the day) the point of Greens, Eggs, and Yams. I want it to be a space to build relationships and share recipes/knowledge that you can benefit from. This community is great.
here are a few reasons why I love the classy combination of champagne and grapefruit juice, so listen up!
- Adam is a BIG Bailey’s fan. So he will drink his coffee with Baileys all holiday long. And there is a vegan Bailey’s, if you didn’t know! It is really yummy but I typically tend to gravitate towards mimosas if I’ll be having a drink in the morning. It’s just my personal preference. I love the bubbles!!! Typically I have mimosas with orange juice, but I gotta say the grapefruit juice in these cocktails really hits the spot and totally changes it up!
- We can almost call these grapefruit mimosas a health food based on the health benefits of grapefruits. I’m OBVIOUSLY joking, but a girl can dream right (but grapefruit does have some pretty amazing qualities FYI). Honestly, 2020 has been a year. And we all need to celebrate getting through it so I’ll be cheersing all day long with champagne and grapefruit juice, and you probably should too!
- You can totally use fresh grapefruit juice in these grapefruit cocktails! Let’s be honest, fresh juice is ALWAYS better. Just perhaps a little less convenient. So store-bought juice works nicely here if you just want something quick. You can always add slices of grapefruit to the mimosas to add that freshness and prettiness as a nice compromise between the two!
The wine glasses I used in these photos are actually the wine glasses from mine and Adam’s wedding (5 years ago!). We got married on an island at my family’s cabin, and my mom, sister and I collected 60 vintage wine glasses in the months leading up to the wedding. Each glass was unique and for our guests to take home at the end of the night. Obviously, some fun was had and a few were left behind. It worked to my and Adam’s advantage though because we now have a lovely collection of wine glasses with tons of memories in them. AND I got to use them to shoot these grapefruit cocktails!
Ring in the New Year with these other easy holiday recipes
These grapefruit cocktails are bubbly, perfectly sweet and a lovely way to cap off the year. If you are looking to change up your typical orange juice mimosa, just slightly, I’d say go a little crazy and replace the OJ with some GJ (don’t worry, I know that’s not actually a thing). BUT champagne and grapefruit juice IS a thing and needs to happen New Year’s morning. Cheers to you and 2021 and thank you for your support with my sweet blog. I love this community.
- 1 1/2 cups grapefruit juice
- 3 cups champagne/ prosecco
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- Rub the thyme leaves with your fingers to release the aroma and then add it to a pitcher or large glass jar.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix everything together. Adjust ratios to your liking. Serve immediately.