These salted tahini chocolate chip cookies are a fun take on a classic chocolate chip cookie. It just might be your new favourite cookie recipe. These dairy-free cookies use almond flour and oat flour, making them gluten-free. I highly suggest loading these cookies with many chocolate chunks, because you truly can’t go wrong when it comes to chocolate. These easy tahini chocolate chip cookies are bound to be your new go-to. They are chewy on the inside and crispy on the outside. And did I mention they are loaded with chocolate?
Why You’ll Love These Vegan Tahini Cookies
- These chocolate tahini cookies are crispy AND chewy. Truly the best combination.
- These dairy free cookies are a lovely balance of saltiness and sweet. Flavours of chocolate and tahini take over your mouth with each bite.
- It takes almost no time to prepare these tahini chocolate chip cookies. The hardest part is the waiting time. But I promise it is worth it.
How To Make Tahini Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Start by combining the brown sugar and vegan butter in a bowl. Use your KitchenAid mixer if you have one or use a hand mixer. Cream together the sugar and butter and then add the flax egg, vanilla, and tahini.
- Next, add the dry ingredients and stir until combined.
- Lastly, add your favourite chocolate chunks. Bake these beauties for 10 minutes, then remove the baking sheet from the oven, and bang the bottom of the baking sheet on the counter a few times. This might seem kind of weird but this action helps to flatten the cookies so they aren’t tall and fluffy. Place the cookies back in the oven for 4 minutes then remove them and once again, bang the sheet on the counter a few times.
- Leave the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes then transfer them to a cooling rack to cool completely before enjoying.
Tips For Making These Cookies
- Make sure the vegan butter is at room temperature. I’m always amazed that baking is truly like chemistry and the temperature of one ingredient can change the recipe dramatically. My go-to vegan butter is Miyoko’s.
- Banging the baking sheet on the counter is key for the ideal shape and texture of these vegan tahini cookies. I do this at the 10-minute mark and after the full 14 minutes of baking time. Bang the sheet on the counter a few times and watch the cookies’ shape change right before your eyes.
- A few sprinkles of big flakes of sea salt are never a bad idea to top these dairy-free cookies with.
Other Dairy Free Cookie Recipes
The Best Salted Tahini Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp flaxseed meal with 3 tbsp water)
- 1/4 cup vegan butter (room temperature)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1/4 cup arrowroot starch
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1/3 cup chocolate chunks
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Prepare the flax egg by adding 1 tbsp of flaxseed meal to 3 tbsp of water. Set aside for roughly 5 minutes until a yolky consistency forms.
- Combine the butter and sugar in a bowl. Use a KitchenAid mixer to cream the butter and sugar together or use a hand mixer.
- Next, add the tahini, vanilla, and flax egg to the butter/sugar mixture. Mix until smooth.
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a separate bowl (except the chocolate). Whisk together and then add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Stir together until completely combined.
- Next, add the chocolate chips and stir to combine.
- Using a melon ball scoop/ cookie scoop, roll out 6 cookie dough balls onto the lined baking sheet (roughly 2.5 tbsp of cookie dough). Place in the oven for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes remove the baking sheet from the oven and bang the sheet on the counter. This helps to flatten the cookies. Place back in the oven for 4 more minutes.
- Once done baking, hit the pan on the counter a few more times. Again, to help flatten the cookies. Then let the cookies cool for a few minutes on the baking sheet before transferring them to a cooling rack to cool completely. Then add the last bit of cookie dough onto the baking sheet and follow the same instructions as above with the second batch of cookies.
- Option to top the cookies with another sprinkle of sea salt.
- Store the cookies in a container on the counter.